A good spring reverb?

Discussion in 'Reverbs / Effects (outboard)' started by Tore Nylund, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

ya beat me to it. :D PAIA RULES!!!

2. mig27

mig27 Active Member

there's a valverb at evilbay right now - one day to go.
    here's the link.

I've been hunting for a valverb for ages but I'm located in Germany and this seller will only ship to the US.

too bad...

Michael

3. dan myers

dan myers Guest

If you can find an old hammond organ, there is a great little spring reverb that can easily be removed. Rca in/out. Sounds big.

4. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

:) I suppose you want a simple Hammond type enclosed guitar amp style verb, but let me tell you about the Multi-Track Dual Equalized Spring Reverb circa early 70's.

This thing was a master piece of OPAMP technology for the time. I have seen one for sale on the web search Multi-Track dual equalized reverb.

This was a production reverb. The design uses subtractive equalization to shape the sounds before sending signals to the separate and individual spring assemblies. There were 2 sets of springs per channel. Each set was the standard Hammond, however they had different gauges of springs, X 2 channels.

The signal was tuned for each set to apply the signal without the common sprongy sound associated with these type units.

The gain after equalization was massive, allowing this unit to extend response out to 7K, making sibilant sounds travel with pinpoint accuracy.

Hearing this, you would not even realize it is a spring unit. The unit was powered externally with a power one + - 15 volt supply with current foldback. Each input channel were balanced, had a drive level, clip led, high/low shelving EQ, and output level control.

Outputs were balanced, the unit could be used in unbalanced configuration, and had a +30db input gain switch, for -10 and less gear.

The company that manufactured these units were located in Hollywood, and also produced the Vari-Band series of parametric EQ's if anyone remembers them. These products, along with consoles, and recorders were designed for the movie industry.

The reverb was 2 rack units, and was about 18" deep. There is virtually nothing that can't be repaired in this unit, with the exception of the power supply. The little OP Amps are readily available, and plug into sockets.

If you were lucky enough to get hold of one of these, you would not be disappointed.

--Rick

5. Fruition2k

Fruition2k Active Member

The Biamp MR 140 wasnt too bad I had one for a number of years, had input level, 4 band eq and output level. Balanced I/O too if I recall. Sounded better than the Furman unit back in the 80's.
    Great British Spring and The Masteroom XL 305 were better than the Biamp in terms of smoother reverb and less boing.
    I still have my broken Masteroom XL-500..which is a 3ru unit controller with Plate-Room-Hall selection, paramatric eq on both channels and variable decay. Connected by a 50ft to a 4 ft chamber that contains 6 elemets (springs). Three for each channel obviously - one that simulated plate, one for room, and the longest one for hall. Best sound I've heard from a spring, retailed for $4,000 back in 1982. Its currently not working now..I do plan to resurrect it and figure out how to make it quieter, the DBX compander cards went on it.

Good luck on your search..

6. purecountry70

purecountry70 Active Member

I just bought a biamp MR/140 Spring reverb unit and I was wondering if there any good, I haven't used it yet. I'd appreciate your options

7. purecountry70

purecountry70 Active Member

Sorry Fruition, I didn't see your post, thanks kindly

8. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

AKG BX series springers....depth and width and surf music for days. I had a friend who rebuilt a Tapco reverb to get the noise out and it was outstanding but he replaced the entire driver unit.