A&H Zed 14 for summing mixer.

Discussion in 'Summing / Mastering consoles' started by kmetal, Sep 9, 2016.

1. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Of course buddy, I'm always waiting to see what you have to say!!!

I love the straight wire approach on the top one. Xformers are obviously great (in many cases) for audio, but my philosophy is transparency for a summing box.

Creating this requires headroom and thus a good psu which I think takes some chops to design... So I'm thinking something passive basically like the folcrum. The folcrum requires a preamp for the makeup gain, so I dunno what the best approach is overall. The ISA I think would do a great job being ever slightly colored, with some thing like a millennia probably being the fullest sounding/high headroom.

As far as it being worth it, who knows lol. I think it's a matter of unless everything in the chain is top notch then it isn't. But I do belive that summing is the weak point in DaW's particularly. I've spent many hours on mackie d8bs and the summing was fine. I've not done a/b comparisons but I have done mixes of the same ep on both that and daw and the daw just sounds a bit more 'hard' or 'crystalline' where the d8b sounded more 'aurhentic' perhaps 'analogish' just more real.

So obviously not all digital is equal and not all DaW's are the best at summing. Sam is probably one of the best. Plus the technique of how master bus and plugins are used makes a huge differnce, so does mixing technique.

All that ramble said, I think yeah it'll make a differnce. Particularly because my source tracks will all be at 192k I want to SRC via the capture.

I'm also curious about what sample rate transfers best to MP3, iTunes, you tube, Ect.

I doubt my home brew will be fantastic, but it'll be fun.

The Scarlett has 8 line and two dedicated speaker outs so I've only got 8ch to work with which kinda sucks. But it will be fun to start playing around.

Otherwise the spl mix dream and the dangerous LT are perfect, and the folcrum is also quite cool. I like/want something with as few knobs and buttons as possible.

Thanks for the link I'm gonna check It out!!

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    right on. You can always include a tranny or tube product in the summing path but you can't remove it if its part of the summing box. Thats the beauty of having high quality transparency right in the beginning. Plus, it also allows you to compare cause and effect of whatever you do OTB from a very accurate workflow.

(y)

pcrecord likes this.
  3. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Excellent point.

The more I'm learning about your workflow it seems your really make use of the ability to audition the same thing in specific different ways. I think that's why you've always talked to highly about the dangerous st.

It's kinda like one of those things where it's like 'yeah so what' until you get used using the different lenses. Ya know kinda like taken for granted or whatever. But the power to hear particularly different converters or stages of the mix/master is so fundemantal to the process of making a recording....

Lol how happy was i when I found out the babyface pro had a mono button! Lol I used it all the time at the studio. Great for ohase checking and vocal checking. Love the "BAM" you get sometimes when it goes back to stereo, other time the mix barely changes. It's something I would've previously written off as useless. Now I'm dissapointed if I don't have one.

pcrecord likes this.