A little Debussy piano music... and more

Discussion in 'Acoustic Keyboards' started by David French, Jul 22, 2005.

1. DavidSpearritt

DavidSpearritt Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    David, how long are you going to keep us in suspenders for?

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

I guess we ahev all the guesses we're getting, so no longer.

A: Behringer ECM 8000

just kidding. :shock:

A: Schoeps CMC6/MK2

B: DPA 4006

C: Neumann KM-183

:D

3. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Sorry I didn't weigh in David! I've been out of town for a couple of days and couldn't really listen the way I would have wanted to. (Not that my portable Sony headphones aren't the Bomb Yo! - much like your Behringer mics...)

Thanks for the comparitive samples - quite nice!

J.

4. DavidSpearritt

DavidSpearritt Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Well, I am happy with my assessment. But am somewhat shocked at the sound of the Neumann. Our KM130's certainly do not sound like those 183's. The gain and balance of C was quite different to the others, it was louder and not centred. Same preamp for all? The preamp was in good condition, all channels the same?

Thanks for the opportunity to compare, David. Its important and rare to be able to get such a consistent setup to test.

5. David French

David French Well-Known Member

The preamp for all was the board pres in a Yamaha DM2000. I hope the channels are all good, the thing's only a year old. I don't know what my problem was with the balance - sorry.

6. Zilla

Zilla Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, the 183 (and 184) are not the same thing as the original KM100 series Neumann's. Where the 130/140 are fast, open, and full bodied; the 183/184 are edgy, thin, and one dimensional. Your "brassy and uncouth" description is on par with my experience with these mics.

The 183/184 are great for some pop work, but I found I could not use them much for classical applications.