A question about presenting my portfolio

Discussion in 'Music Business' started by crystaldrone, Apr 21, 2017.

1. crystaldrone

crystaldrone Active Member

Hello to everyone,

I am planning to setup a website, social media pages etc. with a bio, contact and showcasing my compositions to start getting work. Although I am through with a lot of the work, I really wanted advice on showcasing my compositions.

I was going through some websites of composers and sound designers and saw everything from composers putting up their entire finished projects to some of them putting up a medley made up of their select compositions or even entire tracks which have not been published in anyway yet. And instead of just naming those tracks, some of the composers even present them as an example of a film track, game track etc.

So was a bit confused how should I present my work, since I also have a lot of such tracks which can go up to show my skills as a composer and a few finished projects.

What is the best way to present your compositions when starting off?

Would be grateful for any advice.

2. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    The best I've seen is when the artist has an ecommerce integrated to his(her) website (with a sample available).
    Even if it's not the majority of your sells, you get more money when you sell direct compared to online sites like iTune and others.

I'd say, make it simple, right to the point and visually appealing.
    Also it should adapt to tablets and cellphones.

3. crystaldrone

Totally agree on that.

An e-commerce website would be great if I was into making sample library or stock music. It is something I would like to get into later in life, but since I am way more interested in taking up specific film, animation and other media projects as a composer, wouldn't it be better to present them as a portfolio of a composer rather than stock music that can be bought?

Thanks!

4. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Oh I see ! If you are to promote music for films, you need video/audio demos. The best would be to have original footage and show what you can do in different story situations. Kind like a movie trailer(s). This could be the center of interest for you website, and social medias. If you could find a semi pro video guy/girl and colaborate, it would be amazing !

crystaldrone likes this.
  5. crystaldrone

Oh I do have video demos, links to videos. But my confusion was with how to present my audio demos, especially the tracks that have not been used for any purpose yet.
    Everyone's been suggesting 30 sec watermarked samples.

Although I can skip watermarking since I have decided to just make 25-30 secs edits of the tracks and moreover, never really liked the idea of watermarking.

6. pcrecord

Home Page:
    30sec extracts are good to.. it all depends on how best you can reach the listener and engage them somehow.
    I know that people are giving up more on visual and audio references these days. But I honestly don't know how it goes in the film industry.

7. May Wright

May Wright Active Member

That's a good advice, agree on that.