A Thin Place

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by Ben Davis, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Ben Davis

Ben Davis Active Member

My first recording using Studio One DAW. In my new, unfinished studio. Original. Still learning the stock plugins. Want to invest in a 500 series lunch box but not sure what to put in it.

Anyhow. Tried not to compress to much. Is bass to loud? Panning choices im still experimenting with

Critique welcome

Ben

Attached Files:

2. Ben Davis

Ben Davis Active Member

Hmmm... song did not fully upload

3. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Sounds nice !
    I was a bit surprise with the change of ambient reverb from clean guitar to roomy vocal.. (just a thought)
    Not having the solo in the middle was a bit weird with the cello being darker on the other side.. but again question of taste..

I'd add this in my daily playlist without hesitation ;)

Good job !

audiokid likes this.
  4. Ben Davis

Ben Davis Active Member

Agreed after listening again... solo guitar amp choice might be improved too. Will re pan those

still can’t figure out why entire song is not uploaded. It repeats. Bridge and last verse gone

thanks for input

Ben

audiokid likes this.
  5. pcrecord

Home Page:
    I don't know, I listened to the whole thing, 4m44s. with a nice soft ending.. Might be something with your browser.. ?? try to clear the cache and test again..

6. Ben Davis

Ben Davis Active Member

pcredord; here is another try at this mix with your suggestion. Brought the reverb down a bit...actually used a different one. "wooden room" and tweaked in from there. Changed the amp setting on the guitar break and centered it. Anyhow....now I realized I forgot an entire verse! may have to redo the entire thing now....onward

Attached Files:

pcrecord likes this.
  7. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Really nice. Personally I would work on the lead reverb to reduce ss from accentuating the sound and impression you are singing this in tile bathroom. It would improve the heartfelt warmness this song deserves.

Other than that... keep up the good work.

8. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Very nice.. I agree with Chris, carefull with the sibilances.
    Having similar reverb lenght is nice. I heard a buzzing sound before the bass.. amp noise maybe ? At the end we here it too.. a bit.
    I think the guitars aren't forced to be panned that far, they could come back to the center and caress the vocal more.. (this is a question of taste of course)
    Seriously Ben, this is a great song ! Good job !

Ben Davis likes this.
  9. Ben Davis

Ben Davis Active Member

thanks....will work on that sibilance issue for final try. I am struggling getting a good reverb sound with the stock plugins from Presonus. Need to figure out of to get the Sound Toys Little Plate into my DAW from from laptop. I liked that one better

pcrecord and audiokid like this.
  10. Davedog

Davedog Well-Known Member

Can you put the reverb on it's own track and buss the vocal through it? I haven't used that DAW but I bet you can. It will also allow you to EQ just the reverb and not affect the overall sound of whatever you run through it.

11. Ben Davis

Ben Davis Active Member

Thanks for input so far

her is mix #3

i re-recorded the entire song

added missing verse

re did the ladadas after bridge and syncopated some parts

ran my reverbs thru buss and EQ the highs off. But my ears dont hear highs well so not sure if its enough

Also recorded lead electric with sm57 affront an amp. Delay may be to much however at break

hope im moving this tune forward

thanks all for the input so far

Ben

Attached Files:

12. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Sounds great. Tasty reverb, the sibilance is much better. Very nice job.(y)

13. Davedog

Much better! The reverb is now in a nice spot. I think there's a bit of an imbalance between the vocals and backing tracks. I love the clarity however so I'm thinking that perhaps you are mixing it all down to a single stereo pair from all the tracks.

Perhaps setting up separate sub-mixes (stems) would give you much more control. Moving the reverbs out of the chain into their own sub-mix has worked. Now group the alike instruments and the voices into subs and then do a final processing across these busses before you hit the master output. You'll find that you use quite a bit less processing across the master buss which allows much more fidelity and an easier path to your required output for playback.

You'll also find through this method that smaller increments in your faders result in the bigger differences in volume and balance.

Love the song.

Ben Davis likes this.
  14. Ben Davis

Ben Davis Active Member

This is called summing correct? I will try this. May have more questions

thanks!!!!

ben

15. Davedog

Well. Sorta. Summing is taking all the tracks individually out to a single stereo (or mono) playback. This would be 'the master buss' in most cases.

A sub-mix or a stem is grouping similar tracks into sections with an aux master and then sending it to the master buss.

An example would be to take all the acoustic guitar tracks WITH their individual processing (reverbs,compression,EQ, pan) and assign these tracks to an aux master fader. The nomenclature (unfortunately) is different for every DAW although the process and results are the same. I use ProTools Ultimate and these are called aux masters thus my reference. When you assign these channels to the aux master you are creating another set of stereo buss which through the I/O on your DAW you can assign to the stereo output separately from the master or assign it through the master alone. What it does allow you to do is processing across the aux buss with whatever you deem to do.

I like to put these auxs or stems in my mixes through a number of compressors that I have found work best for the type of instrument or voice being assigned to the aux buss. An example would be again, acoustic guitars... I would get each individual track of acoustic guitars sounding like I wanted and only worrying about their balance between each other ie: not looking to bring their levels up to final mix levels....And then process across the assigned aux master an 1176 compressor followed by an LA2A compressor. The 1176 set @ 2db and fast release to deal with any momentary spikes while the LA2A would be to add creamy drive and goodness to the sound of these blended instruments.

So thats an example. I always buss drums (usually three aux busses for drums) bass (with a clean unaffected signal with a sidechain of all the eq and compression) guitars (separate acoustics from electrics and leads from rhythms) Keys , voices(separate lead vox from backing vox.....etc etc...

16. Ben Davis

Ben Davis Active Member

Got it!!! Thanks so much for this info. Makes sense. I will work on this method this week