Acoustic guitars for recording?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by audiokid, Feb 19, 2016.

1. DogsoverLava

DogsoverLava Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    You're right -- it's a completely ignored and unknown in terms of guitar retail. I'd wager even builders don't know or want to know.... It's like you are telling buyers there's something they have to do to care for their guitar -- and people don't want to futz with things so the whole conversation is a negative. I certainly thought it was a gimmick. (Did I tell the story earlier of a friend who used a sound hole mounted one on his hand-made classical by a famous maker and spilled a big drop of water right onto the internal label wiping out the signature?) That was my last experience with guitar humidifiers and that was 1991.

audiokid likes this.
  2. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    She's a beauty.

3. Makzimia

Makzimia The Minstrel Well-Known Member

Latest addition to my collection!. A Taylor 356ce Grand Symphony. Sounds awesome strummed or picked. And yes, it will be living with a two way humidity pack .

Attached Files:

audiokid and kmetal like this.
  4. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Sick!!!!!!

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Nice!
    I want a Taylor 12 string and nylon next.thst looks nice, Tony

6. Makzimia

Makzimia The Minstrel Well-Known Member

Well, I can definitely say this is very good value. I own a 1981 Ovation celebrity 12 string, it’s a good place to know what a good 12 string should sound like. The Taylor just has more balls. And of course the ES2 pickup system is awesome.

Tony

7. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    My guitarist friend just sunk 4 figures (in UKP) into a Taylor. He's still reeling and blissfully happy. He gave to to me and I expected to be blown away with a guitar easier to play and nicer sounding than my £200 ancient thing - and all I can say is I was left stunned - with the small difference. It wasn't easier to play, and while it was louder, I didn't like the tone that much. I know it's me, but I somehow expected one and a half grands worth of wonderfulness and something I'd go wow - I must have one, and I didn't. Don't know why?

8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    My Taylor 914ce is the most glorious sounding guitar I have ever played. Is sounds so exceptional that I want the 12 string and nylon versions of it now. And as far as performance goes, it’s anazing to play.

Being said, the sound of an acoustic guitar improves when it is hydrated to at least 47%. Too dry and they sound bright, too wet and they sound dead.
    After I started testing the sound of various guitars I realized every guitar I tried was either over or under the hydration.

The next thing I realized when judging the sound, a guitar sounds different when I am playing it apposed to what it sounds like from the audience.
    listen to what your guitar sounds like when it’s being played by someone else and also when it’s in a group of instruments.

After a year of me testing many acoustic guitars I found the Taylor 714 to be the most amazing mid range guitar of them all. What an awesome guitar for cutting through.
    The 914 is what I would call the best of all worlds, it has a wonderful balance but it’s not a 714 or a dreadnought though...
    and so it goes....

9. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Which model was it, Paul? New or second-hand?

10. DogsoverLava

Home Page:
    When I test played the 814 for Chris the mistake I made was not listening to someone else play it --- it was a fine fine guitar and felt amazingly responsive in my hands as a player, but Chris' take on it's tonal balance was spot on which was further shown true to me when Taylor announced that they had retooled the 814ce to a DLX to specifically address the tonal balance. (See link).

"The 814ce’s evergreen appeal comes from its impressive musical versatility, along with recent internal voicing upgrades that boost the warmth and produce a richer low-end response."

When you are holding the guitar you feel the low end more than you hear it - it's a lesson to remember for me for future. I'd be curious to know how the new 814 ce dlx compares to his 914.

The biggest hurdle for me traditionally when buying and playing acoustics is getting a guitar that is playable -- neck and intonation and action set correctly etc... after that comes stability - the need for it to hold its "ready to go state"..... that's hard enough to find in a guitar of any price and that's where combing through the stacks and finding that one factory production guitar that stands out from the rest is a big benefit -- It can make a $400 Yamaha into a $2400 Larivee or Taylor in terms of playability quite quickly....

But then there's everything else -- the magic - the sound -- the balance across the spectrum -- the depth and responsiveness of the guitar to the body and fingers -- all this stuff is like the scoring differences between Olymic medalist in gymnastics getting a 9.9 or a 10.0 ---- and basically the last place guy getting a 9.6 ---------- 9.6 is pretty bloody awesome beyond any lay measure but it ain't world class. This becomes one of those you'll know it when you see it/hear it/play it arguments ------ but for most of us 8 or 9 (or even 7) can be absolutely awesome for us -- we just want to avoid the dogs that you see in the 6 and below scores. So as the big $$ goes up on guitar pricing, you get smaller increments of "better" . Economics usually means we maximize our value for the dollar in a bang for buck scenario....

@paulears -- what you've seen is that you've already identified an awesome playable guitar at an attractive value maximizing price point ---- but just like everything else that cost us money the marginal difference for that next jump up i smuch less dramatic -- you gotta make bigger jumps to get the obvious differences -- Play that 914 next to the guitar you have and it will be so obvious. Play a 214 or a 314 (or a 414) and it might be harder to see the gain/difference in terms of value for $ spent.

audiokid likes this.
  11. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I'm a bass player, but I manage OK on electric, but hate the feel of my cheap electro-acoustic. The pressure needed to hold down the strings and how different that is to my fairly lowish action Les Paul. I just expected the Taylor to be much, much nicer to play - and it was a surprise that it was just a nicer version of my old Crafter! I could appreciate the wood, the quality of the finish and how nice it looked and felt until I played it.

12. DogsoverLava

Home Page:
    My first experience with Taylors was when I was about to buy a professional level Classical guitar in the very early 90's.... the one's I was looking at were about $2400 at the time and were barely better than my $300 Yamaha student model. I ended up buying a hand made guitar that so far and away killed the Taylor that I literally had no respect for the brand for many many years ----- such was my initial underwhelming experience with them....

Testing out Taylor guitars for Chris was an amazing experience because I really did feel the top models I played were pretty amazing ------ so they were redeemed in my mind -- but for the lower level stuff you might find the marginal difference is really not that great of leap beyond what you already have.

audiokid likes this.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed