Active monitors - front port vs back port

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by veech, May 8, 2014.

1. veech

veech Active Member

Hello all, new member here.. I just discovered this forum based on a referral. Looks like a great collection of very knowledgable folks hang out around here. I have lots of reading to do!

I am looking at various models of active studio monitors with a budget of up to $1500 for a pair. These will be used for mixing and mastering mainly loud rock with some dub-step effects thrown in. I have a Logitech Z680 5.1 gaming system that comes with a sub so I can turn off the satellites and utilize this sub for the LFE.

The way my studio and desk are set up, I will have to place one monitor on a stand near the middle of the room (12' x 15') about 6 or 7 feet away from the wall behind it and the other monitor will be on a stand near the corner about one foot away from the wall behind it. I believe rear-ported monitors need to be placed near a wall for proper LFE reflection, is this correct? Based on my description, should I stick with front-ported monitors?

Thanks!