1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

Adding IO via Adat

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by Earthless, Nov 16, 2016.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

I currently own the RME UFX interface, but time has come to make use of the adat connections and expand the inputs and outputs. Googling around there are not so many options to choose from. Most common may be the Behringer ADA8200 and the Focusrite octopre mic preamp. To suit my needs better i am considering the Octopre MKII dynamic.

But im just curious if there are some other options out there that i have missed?
    What about using another firewire/usb audiointerfaces which got adat ins and outs?
    Im asking this because i can get a second hand Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 for less than the Octopre MKII Dynamic. But im not sure if there are any drawbacks in expanding with another device that is intentionally built as an audiointerface. Any pros and cons considering this?

2. Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson Active Member

Depends on what your budget and needs actually are....

I'm a big fan of Audient boxes for this kind of thing and use ASP880 for this (alongside other boxes)....I've got one of the original Octopres somewhere in the gear store but I only ever used the onboard dynamics on the was in once in about 7 years...

3. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    +1 on audient. Focusrite isa also has a digital out option.

I've used the octo pre quite a bit, and my boss also has the octo pre dynamic at the other studio. He describes the dynamics knob as the 'suck knob'. lol doesn't like it.

One thing to keep in mind w Adat I/o is channel count gets reduced if you use higher than base sample rates 44.1/48, so this is something to keep in mind if your 88.2/96k or above.

As far as using other interfaces, it depends on if your Mac or PC and or if the expansion interface has a standalone mode allowing operation without a commuter connection. Windows ( drivers) doesn't allow you to 'aggregate' interfaces by default so your software would only recognize one interface at a time, which may or may not be a problem depending on the modes and drivers of the interface. Asio4all is a Windows audio driver that allows aggregation.

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Well-Known Member

what samp rate will you be recording at? i have 2 ai3's i want to unload.

5. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have a Focusrite 56 and had an octopre that I sold. The preamps don't have much gain and the sweet spot aim more toward hi gained mics. With dynamics mics like the sm57 or sm7 you need a loud source because driving up the gains of the 56 or octopre will be messy.. Also they are not cut for ribbon mics unless they are active.

I had tons of problems with my 56, (preamps mostly) but it might just be that it was a store demo (a big fail I won't reproduce). I now keep the 56 as an headphones amp and will get rid of it when I get a better solution.

Now if you want units with adats, the audients were on my radar for a while and but I settled one the ISAs, with 80db of clean gain with transformer mojo, they are hard to beat for the price.
    They have the ISA428 or 828. Yes they are expensive but Worth every penny !!

Some other pristine preamps would be the Grace Design m108 that has adat.

If we come down in price the Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X seems like a better choice than the octopre.

6. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Forgot the MIDAS XL48 too.. ;)

7. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

Its mainly for connecting synths and samplers etc. It has to be minimum 8 channels IO.
    And it has to be ad/da conversion. Minimum 48Khz preferable 96Khz.

I can get the Saffire 56 for $400 used, or a new ADA8200 for $200

I dont like to spend huge amount of money on this especially since i really dont need high end mic preamps for connecting line level instruments.

What to do? :)

8. kmetal

Home Page:
    Was that the MK1 or the MK2 octopre? I've used the mk2 and mostly on drums, but I've occodaionally on room or extra mic, never noticed gain issues, but like I said most of my experience w it is for drums.

I wouldn't get the ada8200. Gain shouldn't be an issue since your using the synths, I'd shoot for the octopre mk2.

9. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    It may be more than you were thinking of spending, but you could see if you can find a second-hand RME ADI-8DS (or the lesser-featured ADI-8PRO).

audiokid and kmetal like this.
  10. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

There is no da conversion on the octopre mk2:(

kmetal likes this.
  11. kmetal

Home Page:
    Good call. I've never needed DA on the pre amp so it didn't even dawn on me.

Thanks for the correction!!

12. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

Very difficult to decide because of the tight budget at the moment.
    Initially i was considering the ferrofish, but cant afford it.

Budget roof is around $400 so i might go for the saffire 56, which gives good value.

13. pcrecord

Home Page:
    It was the octopre MK2. You're right with loud instruments like drums it's ok. I had it for 2 months, did 1 project and sold it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeOpto8 maybe ? (has 48khz only)

If you go with the saffire, you still need to plug it once with FireWire to set it to stand alone and route all preamps to the adat outputs. once done, it's like an octopre, but bulkier ;)
    If quality is not an issue, I'd go with the Behringer ADA8200 at 200$

kmetal likes this.
  14. kmetal

Home Page:
    The Saffire 18i20 has 8x8 adda as well as a separate 2ch speaker out and adat. It's 499 but has some potentially useful features. They'll probably be on sale. It's got great latency specs for the class. And updated conversion.

If you can grab it on sale it's probably better than the Safire 56 or any of the others.

Marcos experience w the saffire 56 scares me.

The extra speaker and headphone outs could be useful for jamming.

Just throwing it out there becuase it's something I was personally considering before i decided on a pcie based unit.

15. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

The scarlett seems like a good option, ill check it out. Thanks.

16. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

When expanding with 8 IO over adat i have to sync the devices via wordclock, right?

I notice the Scarlett Saffire 18i20 only have wordclock out, meaning i have to use it as master when syncing to the rme ufx, maybe not the best option.
    Shouldnt i have the ufx as master?

17. pcrecord

Home Page:
    You can sync via adat. No need for BNC cable if you only have 2 units to sync together.
    Check the manual to confirm if you can put the RME as master with ADAT...

18. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    It's not easy using one complete audio interface as the ADAT expander for another, as both would naturally want to be wordclock master. In this case, either of the RME and the Saffire can sync to an incoming ADAT bitstream, and the question comes down to which gives the better local conversion quality when externally clocked. The answer to that is almost certainly the RME, but the thing to do would be to avoid using the ADAT data connection as the clock source. To achieve that, use the Saffire on its local clock and run a 75 Ohm BNC cable from its wordclock out to the wordclock in connector on the RME FF800, with the 75 Ohm terminator switch set on. Sync the FF800 to its BNC wordclock input.

pcrecord likes this.
  19. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

If you could pick one, regardless of price, for line inputs and conversion. Saffire 56 or ada8200?

20. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Of what I heard of the 8200 and experienced with the 56 ..
    I guess the 8200 would be my choice in your position... less things can go wrong with a unit made to be preamp addition compared to full audio interface you need to plugged in to the computer to setup..
    I honestly can't say which of the 2 has better preamp and convertion. . . Instinct goes to the Focusrite.. but we'd need an A/B test to compare...

Best of luck to you Earthless ;)

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed