1. Hi Guest, if you are interested in professional video editing software, be sure to enter to WIN > Vegas Pro 15 now!
    Dismiss Notice

ADL Comps?

Discussion in 'Compressors / Limiters (analog)' started by coldsnow, Jan 24, 2002.

1. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Hi,
    Anyone tried ADL comps? What do you think? Suppose to be an LA2a copy.
    Thanks

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Guest

I seem to remember our other moderator saying they were first call for steel guitar...

I have only used one, but it was apparently modded ( not sure what was done) so that the attack, decay, and output "color" was changed. Sounded great, but I have noidea about the stock models

3. Roy Finch

Roy Finch Guest

Yes, I've used 'em... they are very fine compressors. Four words: warm, full, punchy, smooth. also well built.

4. Melange

Melange Guest

I've used the mono compressor (model 1000 I think) and thought it was great. It's my understanding that they're built to resemble an LA2A, so take that for what it's worth. I've used it regularly at a studio that didn't have an LA2A, so I used it where I would normally use that instead. Vocal, bass, electric gtr occaisionally... I haven't missed an LA2A while using the ADL, so take that for what it's worth also. Thumbs up here...

5. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

My understanding was that there was no serious attempt to remake the LA-2's transformers, instead going with more modern ones. That might be good or bad, depending on your application, your ears, barometric pressure, . . .

Bear

6. Micah

Micah Guest

I rented a LA-2A and the ADL 1000 one time. The LA-2A blew it away on vocals, bass and acoustic gtr. The ADL sucked down on the sound too much, while the LA-2A let me slam it and remained fat.

7. Dave McNair

Dave McNair Active Member

The ADL is a great unit, although I don't think it sounds very much like the LA2a that it was intended to copy. FWIW, I think the stereo model sondes better than the mono, go figure. I will tell you this, Sheryl Crow used an ADL on her forthcoming record.

8. Micah

Micah Guest

Mcsnare,
    Do you happen to know what instrument she used the ADL on?

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed