1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Again with analog tape issues...

Discussion in 'Tape Recorders' started by Cosme, Oct 29, 2007.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Cosme,

I hope this helps, being that I totally misguided you with my last couple of posts:

I think that tracking onto the tape and dumping it into Cubase will be perfectly fine. I've done the same myself and have experienced no truly negative results, as far as sound coloration and what-not.

The only thing I'd caution against is - if you are going to track onto the tape, while playing along with something you've already recorded in the digital world, you should keep in mind that more than likely the tape is not going to playback at the exact same speed that the digital tracks do, which means that you may need to use a plugin to adjust the timing of the analog tracks once you dump them into Cubase.

-side note:

Being that it's Halloween, it seems that the board is a bit dead at the moment...

2. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Yes you can. All the DAWs I know allow recorded audio to be automatically offset by a predetermined amount to compensate for the latency of the audio interface: you simply need to set this to include the additional latency from the tape recorder.

3. Cosme

Cosme Guest

Hey bro can you tell me how that works in Nuendo 2? That'll be great!

4. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

No. I can tell you how it works in Tracktion 3 if you like...

5. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    If you're tracking in/out or to/from the tape machine to/from the DAW, via the input to repro heads, you don't have speed issues per se.

You're simply using the tape-printing as an effects loop, but you're essentially only dealing with whatever timing issues may be involed in such a tiny distance between the heads, running at 7.5 ips. You're not storing anything on the tape per se, so there wouldnt be speed issues. you're simple going in and out of the analog tape world for as long as it takes the tape to move from one head to the other. As long as you're printing it back into the computer digitally, there's only the actual latency of the proces itself (plus the tape path travel time) to deal with. You can (as others have already pointed out) simply do an offset with the new "warm analog" track after the fact.

Ah, the smell of warm 486 in the morning........ :twisted:

6. Cosme

Cosme Guest

Yeah the problem really comes out when you're overdubbing, the 100ms difference is noticible when you're playing along, that's the actual problem, imagine that you're recording a guitar track trough the tape machine and you're using a pre recorded drum track as a monitor, you play the guitar and 100ms later, it's recorded through the DAW because of the tape path, so you hear your guitar signal 100ms later and it's recorded 100ms later. That's the actual issue, and the only solution I can find is reamping, the offset option is the one I don't really understand, but it seems insteresting

7. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Your DAW already has to cope with latency when overdubbing. eg: lets say it takes 2 ms for any digital audio sent to the audio interface to emerge as an analog audio signal, and lets say it takes another 2 ms for an analog signal hitting the inputs to arrive at the software as a digital audio stream... if this is not compensated for then the musician's will play 2 ms late, and what they play will be reorded another 2ms late, so the resulting audio clip will be 4 ms later than it was intended to on the timeline.

The only difference when using an analog tape machine is that the input latency is now more like 100 ms than 2 ms.

Tracktion has an auto-detect feature to help you set your time adjust parameter correctly: you physically connect a cable between an audio out and an audio in, and Tracktion will play a series of test pulses and measure the delay. But you can do this manually if you need to: loop an audio output back to an input, then play some audio on one track while recording it back to another. The time difference between the recorded track and the original is the latency that you need to adjust for.

8. Cosme

Cosme Guest

Let me see how this works for nuendo then, it seems like the best option, thanks everyone!:D

9. Rosemary

Rosemary Guest

10. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

Rosemary, thank you for the comments. I haven't seen you here lately.

I'm trying to work out the time to sit down and come up with a new tape recorder maintenance and calibration video that will utilize some common audio software such as Adobe Addition with its built-in analyzers and tone generation capabilities to utilize as a simple test jig set in lieu of tone generators, volt meters and oscilloscope's. And because I still have some NOS full track mono head stacks for my custom-made Scully 280B, I'll probably also offer a simple calibration test tape that will be much more affordable than the STL or M. R. L. test tapes. Still, a fairly time-consuming project but obviously some call for. Hopefully I'll try to have it ready by Christmas? If not early in the new year?

I'll let you all know when it's ready.
    Ms. Remy Ann David