Akai unlocks MPC Software (v2.2) for all controllers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kmetal, May 11, 2018.

1. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Check it out.

The MPC Software main page.
    http://www.akaipro.com/products/software/mpc-software

The new features in 2.2
    http://www.akaipro.com/

I bought this yesterday, having been planning on the MPC Studio hardware for some time, I can’t wait to move some air with these sounds! The AKAI stuff is the last part of my virtual drum machine collection for now. I sprung for the iphone app too, lol. GAS tank empty.

Beyond the sample set, the software looks to make quick, clean, work of drastic time and pitch altering, and making your own samples. Very cool. Seems super creative with those processes, which can be a tedium in other programs.

audiokid likes this.
  2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Nice, I'm still at 1.8 lol. Thanks for sharing. !

kmetal likes this.
  3. kmetal

Home Page:
    Lucky duck, that means your on the Hardware too!

4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I’ve not been following my MPC updates. What does this update mean that is worth the $99 upgrade?
    I love MPC’s

5. kmetal

Home Page:
    http://www.akaipro.com/pages/mpc-2.2-desktop-software-firmware-update

For existing owners, I’m not sure the $99 is worth it. Some of it seems like features that ‘should’ be standard imho. I could see where the addition of audio tracks could be useful, even if you are working within another daw. It runs as a VSTI now if I understand correctly or maybe it can just host vsti’s within the MPC software. Not sure if it’s both, I know it hosts vsti and other plugs. I can see it being a toss up for existing owners. It also makes MPC software compatible with all midi controllers, not just the MPC/Akai brands.

For someone who’s not an owner yet. $99 is a steal for the MPC soundset, imho. To have true licensed MPC samples is like burnt sienna to a painter, especially if involved in anything headed for mass listening. There’s more to the ‘real hardware’ MPC than just the digital samples, both in workflow, and analog section, that im guessing make it desirable. That aside, an authentic sample set, and the real-time pitch manipulation was worth the entry cost. The ability to host 3rd party plugs and do audio are gonna keep my sessions organized better I think, with way less clutter and responsibilities pinned on my main daw pc.

It Seems like a nice bridge between software, hardware, and daw. I’m planning on MPC controller for playing, and an SR-16, and to trigger my samples, and parts. Maybe is was just a first impression, but the pith and time was remarkably arftifact free. Changing time without effecting pitch, and vice versa. And you can manipulate it with a knob and fader.

It should make sequencing to live material sound smoother. Like programming strings behind a band that recorded live. The daw can set the conductor track to follow the swings, and I think the MPC software algorithm is going to allow to more transparent layering of audio samples and midi. Just a hunch I haven’t tested anything yet.

I was curious how you implemented the MPC/software into your particular rig and workflow. Before I purchased the software I looked at several threads where you speak highly of the MPC stuff.

6. kmetal

Home Page:
    I hope more ‘rock guys’ like me open their mind up to electronic mixing styles, and music. There’s true art and soul that can be created. It’s amazing how ‘still’ some of the rock mixes seem, especially mine, relative to some of the other stuff I’ve been listening to lately.

audiokid likes this.
  7. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    IMO every studio (old school or current) should have at least one MPC in there arsenal and know what they are all about, what the sounds are and how much of an impact they have had for, musicians, writers, producers, recordists, mixers and DJ's . I have made hundreds of thousands of dollars because of an MPC so to all that are still back in the stone ages... MPC gear is absolute wow to me and to most that know what the sequencers can do.

Yah, you understand it. I have the Rennaisance, which is really cool. It syncs super tight to my DAW and yes, you can use its as a VSTi or a drum machine controller. I like how you can have it as an independent sequencer while in sync with your DAW timeline. You can open it up as a plugin and actually bounce the audio lanes of the MPC into your DAW session too. It makes writing very easy and fun. The library is excellent.

To answer your question, when I'm writing I usually start out with a beat so I will lay down a simple 4 bar track and let that loop. The MPC will loop while you are building a session in your DAW ( samplitude as an example) It slaves perfectly. Once I have a song completed, I will play the drum parts to the session in real time. Its brilliant software.

My version of MPC was in need of some updates to fix a few bugs.

Oh ya... the sampling and time stretches etc is so cool. And its mxer is excellent as well.

I really want the MPC X. Its on my list of gear to get next.

kmetal likes this.
  8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    PS,

The more I use a DAW the more I like independent hardware that "syncs" tight with a DAW. Good implementation of outboard gear reduces DAW bloat, and all that goes with having too many things running on one computer. The MPC does still use the same computer your DAW is on but it miraculously seems to stream along pretty well.

Now the new MPX X appears to be a whole new animal which I am expecting is like the original MPC 60 standalone. A stand-alone MPC drum machine is my answer to 20 years of waiting. If it does what I think it does... we are entering a hybrid area of the 80's. The days when midi actually worked and you could get $*^t done without all the stupid software problems we have had to suffer with for years now.

kmetal likes this.
  9. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I'm thinking the 2.2 software is just like having the MPC X without the controller. @kmetal . One of the coolest parts to MPC's are the actual controllers so if you can get your hands on a used Renaissance or Studio... do it. A drum controller is way cooler than just using some keyboard or pads. People that usually use keyboards to trigger drums are cheating themselves out of know how real and fun programming is and can be.

The X is a very solid hub to a studio production system.

10. kmetal

Home Page:
    Well put.

This is exactly what I was hoping. To bridge the transitions (sync) between film, audio, midi, and remote control. The audio to midi capabilities of BFd, drumagog, and samplitude, allow you to use pretty much any sound you have as a trigger. There’s a plug-in for guitar that lets you trigger your vsti by your guitar witkout a midi pickup, with low latency.

11. kmetal

Home Page:
    @ 1:50 he starts demonstrations of the real-time capabilities. I can’t believe how low and slow it can go. Lol very little artifacts on the iPhone at least. This sold me on the quality level of the MPC software programming.

audiokid likes this.
  12. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    What many people don't know is you can actually control acoustic music and vocals (acoustic lanes) into these units and mix tracks way cooler than you can in a DAW. Once you become familiar with something like these, it opens up a world of mixing like you never thought was possible. Thus.. ah... thats how they do it ;)

kmetal likes this.
  13. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Yup. I use my MPC to trigger BFD as well. Works great.

14. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    See what you can do with 2.0 from 20 min mark on. Work at things in the studio, then import the audio into the MPC. I would then use this for gigging, busking etc along with my playing guitar and vocals. Then go back into the studio and continue with producing etc. Very very cool.

kmetal likes this.
  15. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Oh Kyle, you have me drooling over MPC lol.

16. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    This is is how I used to play and (god willing) want to get back into it again. Even if I never get back to where I was, I would use an MPC as a background beat and jam along like this for hours blowing people away. I used make money doing this back in the 80's/ 90's. It was so fun just playing along to a beat that never complained lol.

So to expand on how I would use it, would be like this as well as techno...:

17. kmetal

Home Page:
    Yeah I’m planning on one of the flagship models at the time. First was software, next is computers, then the controllers. Imho the MPC is a classic just like a moog or fairlight, et al.

I like analog hardware because you can touch it, I like digital because you don’t necessarily have to touch it.

You and me both man!

That’s sick. I was so clumsy with my previous setup for various reasons, I never really made good use of digital backing tracks, especially the drums. When im riffing I want to lay the drums down. I just didn’t do well w the pencil tool, or basic midi keyboard controller. It wasn’t inspiring.

How do you know it was the 80’s?

‘Cuz I was making lot of money in the music industry’

I just want to be able to pull up to a lake, or sing into my phone, and start developing in the moment. With the studio, the goal is always on, always record ready. Like Prince who’s famous for wanting everything mic’d up and ready before the session started.

18. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I toured from 1981 to 1998 and during that time I used an MPC 60 every day. I earned a good living playing and singing back then. Is that what you are asking me to elaborate?

So, even though those days are gone, I still would love to get my chops back up and use an MPC to accompany me. I love jamming to beats and bass lines. Makes practicing fun. MPC's make it easy to figure out verses and chorus to things you get from jamming. The odd time I came up with some good hooks. As you get proficient with the software, you learn how to quickly add lib, get creative on the fly and if you are smart... stored your stuff on the MPC as seen in that MPC demonstration (20 min mark).

kmetal likes this.
  19. kmetal

Home Page:
    I was just generally joking around about the current times of the industry (360 deals, YouTube ads, Ect).

For some reason, I was under the impression that you were a keyboard player and guitar player in bands during that time period. I didn’t realize you used the MPC daily. My exposure to the MPC was always at GC and with hip hop related clubs and artists. I had never looked at it as much more than that until very recently.

20. kmetal

Home Page:
    All sorts of cool factoids on the wiki. I didn’t know Roger Linn designed it. Considering the cd came out commercially in like 82’, it’s pretty sweet to have had a porysble machine with 12bit, 40khz sampling capability. Funny they still sell in the 1300-2k range, amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akai_MPC

These machines are intriguing. Is this the one you had? @audiokid

B19FFC5B-338C-4C6B-8F4E-0F5AB37B2FB6.jpeg

audiokid likes this.