AKG C451s?

Discussion in 'Mixing' started by Crankitup, Jul 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Crankitup

Crankitup Guest

Any opinions? I'm looking to use them as overheads and for acoustic guitar

thanks

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

GREAT! GREAT! Love them for overheads but you may need to purchase the additional -10 DB capsule pads if it's not a recent 451 when used for overheads? The old ones had no switches on them. The new ones do. A beautiful microphone. Beautiful bright and crisp on acoustic guitar. Great on Hi-Hat and underneath the snare drum (with the additional pad). Beautiful on just about everything! I used to have a pair but one walked away one day.....so now it's just my Hi-Hat microphone, most of the time.

Austrian awe
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. Crankitup

Crankitup Guest

they sound awesome, thanks. i can get akg stuff wholesale so i was thinking about picking up one or a pair

4. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

As Remy says, they good mics to own and use. The first pair of mics I ever bought many years ago were 452's (same as 451's) with the optional swival mic clip mounts and I still have and use them on a regular basis. The newer made ones are not quite the same, but are still worth owning and using.

5. elcubo

elcubo Active Member

recently i bought i pair...ive been doin OH before with 4033s and 414xls...my room isnt perfect...so i have to deal with it...i cant use U87 for OH cause they are pretty strong...the 4033s were nice, but i feel the cymbals a little anoin, the best were the 414s... good body in the kit and crisp cymbals...the 414s left the studio, so i did i fast desicion and bought the 451s...right choise...got the crispness of 414...a little more transparent, maybe not the whole body, but respond great in a crappy room like mine,,,excelents in acoustics...hi hat...go without fear...

6. As everyone before me has mentioned, these mics are great. I have had one for many years now. I have used it on everything from hi hat and ride cymbals to upright bass and guitar. Definately one of the better small diapragm condensers around. A 451 and Beyer M88 are one of my favorite mic combos for recording guitar with aggressive tone.