AKG D112 vs Shure Beta 52

Discussion in 'Recording' started by vv-tim, Aug 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. vv-tim

vv-tim Guest

Is there a large recording performance difference between the D112 and the Beta 52? I've heard lots of people recommending the D112.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

I think it's a matter of preference. I prefer the beta 52 for a fuller warmer kick, and the d112 for a harder sound. Say, collective soul vs pantera?....Kind of. Why dont you rent both and put them to the test before you buy?

3. vv-tim

vv-tim Guest

I have a Beta 52 already (when I first decided the band was going to record itself, I didn't really know anything about recording, so I just bought Shure everything because they were the name I always heard). I didn't get the nicest kick sound out of it, although it's probably due to my lack of ability in mixing and eq.

http://www.purevolume.com/valvalis/ has the stuff we recorded. Any suggestions are welcome.

4. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

I have both and this is my comparison....

D112 = Basketball hitting a gymnasium floor
    Beta52=More natural

5. sushifish

sushifish Guest

Good question, great answers! I will buy both now and know which to use in different applications. I've wondered this myself for a while now. Thanx guys! :cool:

6. anxious

anxious Guest

DOn't overlook the ATM25. I think it is a great-sounding and versatile mic.

7. sharmon

sharmon Guest

Haven't used the Beta 52, but the D112 sure does give you a nice tight*ss basketball ;)

8. buzz

buzz Guest

I have and use both I almost always end up with the Beta 52 , it is very versitile just change the distance from the front head and it will sound like a different mic ( proximity effect ) the D112 is just ??? basketball is good.

Well it works good on floor toms

Later
    Buzz