AKG Perception 220

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by Feverdream, Jun 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Feverdream

Feverdream Guest

I've seen one of these on sale for £100.

I've never used one before, are they worth buying? For that price anyway?

Bear in mind that my budget doesn't really stretch much further than that, and I already have SM57/58s.

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    It's a reasonable condenser mic, but that's not a particularly good price for it as a spec buy, especially if it does not include the shock mount.

What would you use it for? Although AKG pitch the 220 as a stage or studio mic, I would think its stage uses would be fairly limited to things like guitar cabinet miking.

I would save your pennies until you come across a real bargain, or you find the "must have" mic to fulfill a particular need.

3. Feverdream

Feverdream Guest

I'd be using it for studio vocals mainly.

I'm also looking at the Rode NT1-A. A little bit more expensive, but seems to be better from reviews.

I don't really like the look of the Perception 220s. They look kinda tacky to me.

4. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

cheap AKG sucks. get the rode

5. cluster

cluster Guest

I have the Perception 200 and it sounds fantastic on acoustic.

EDIT: Here's a clip. Sorry about the horrible autotune, I can't sing to save my life.
    http://files.getdropbox.com/u/631208/Skinny Love.mp3

6. jammster

jammster Active Member

cluster, Nice acoustic sound.

A buddy of mine uses the perception 220. Its a good mic. Also, you should look into the Oktava MK-319, or 012 if you can. Oktava has a darker sound that contrasts the AKG.