Allen and Heath Console?

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by MRussell, Mar 6, 2004.

1. MRussell

MRussell Guest

I'm a beginning engineer fed up with the new Mackie and Behringer sound, looking for something different. I found an Allen and Heath CMC32 (24 channel) mixer for sale in my area, in great condition for a good price. Does anyone have an opinion on this board? Any info is much appreciated!

2. bgavin

bgavin Guest

Only from reading and doing research. That said, it appears the A&H are very high quality consoles.

I'm trying to talk my partner out of buying a new Mackie and get the A&H instead, for live performance mixing.

3. Chance

Chance Guest

I've own an A & H system 8, and I now own an A & H sigma 24 bus inline and I love A & H

4. rockstar

rockstar Guest

how does the AH compare to the souncraft spirit line?

5. MRussell

MRussell Guest

I believe that the Soundcraft Spirit line is mostly known for it's use as a live board.

6. shortyprs

shortyprs Guest

I have a Mix Wiz and love it. Much nicer sounding than my old cheaper Mackie. I got a great live recording of a jazz piano trio using the A&H.

I haven't used the Soundcraft Spirit, but it is also a nice line. What I understand is that the Spirit pres are based on the Ghost boards. Don't know if they're the same. Several folks steared me toward A&H over the Spirit line as a better board for recording. Spirit is a lower end product that Soundcraft absorbed, but the Spirit line is below the Soundcraft in quality.

All I can say is that I'm very happy with A&H.

7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

If I were you I would research this deeply.Somewhere in my library I have the A&H fishwrap on this line.If I remember correctly, these were a modular design and didnt have a long shelf life for the company.Also it was an early midi controlled unit.I think its the one I remember but dont quote me yet.A google search may yield results for you.I can say that these are NOT the GS or the GL line of mixers and these(GL/GS) are very very good at what they do.As for Soundcraft, I own a Ghost and would not trade it for anything in its price category and would be hard-pressed to trade it for a lot of boards in the mid-ranged console price level.It just does everything well.

8. Clueless

Clueless Guest

As usual, I have to put in my $0.02 for the Midas Venice. If you like the simplicity of small-format mixers but hate (or don't love) their sound, this is THE board to check out.

9. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

:) That IS a cool looking board too! I saw some pictures a while back in a thread. Reminds me of the original A&H minimix when they went to colored knobs and a silver face.

--Rick

10. I've recently bought an A+H GL2 used off a buddy. This particular board has had some mod work (Burr Brown op amps I believe) and I gotta say it smokes the the Mackie 1604 VLZ I've been using.