Allen & Heath GS-R24

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by hueseph, Oct 29, 2012.

1. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Man that's so cool! It's always fun to hear about the purchase after the decision making process! Congrats!!!! Hope it serves you well for a long time!

vibrations1951 likes this.
  2. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Nice...well done !

Hope it all comes together for you nice and easy...its a great feeling when you experience an NGD or New Gear Day...its a feeling that I myself never tire of. ;)

Post a few pics once you get things set up if you get a chance...it would be great to see it all ready to hit the record button.

3. kmetal

Home Page:
    Hey vibes I found something that might interest you. It turns out the berringer xtouch, the newer one has LCD Scibble strips!!!! Finally! It uses the hui protocal so still not as fast as the artist mix. But it has transport controls, and can control plugins. For $600 it has a lot of functionality and might be just what you need for now as far as a dedicated control surface. I'm putting it on my list for the mobile / interim rig.

4. kmetal

Home Page:
    The transport section has some cool stuff too. Particularly the marker drop button, and the track zoom buttons are cool too. This thing seems pretty cool. Probably doesn't feel amazingly heavy duty and the knobs look a little wobbly, but bang for your buck seems like the best option out there.

Of really awsome note is the various functions of the nudge button. This really eases some tedium of the mouse and seems like operation is intuitive enough to actually be faster than the alternative.

The coolest thing about it is the knobs let you control multiple parameters at once. This is great for instance I like to adjust the gain on a an eq and nudge the fader down to maintain balance. Or for playing w compression and makeup gain. I just got sold on this thing.

5. vibrations1951

vibrations1951 Active Member

Thanks Sean. Good idea about the Pix, I'll try that.
    NGD is great and always full of re-routing, patchbay hell and building cables, but in a very sick way.....I love it! The smell of burnt skin and brain cells frying never gets old for me!

kmetal likes this.
  6. vibrations1951

This is interesting and I can see where this might work well for your portable rig. I'm hoping the combination of my keypad and ZED as control surface do the trick w/o the need of an additional unit. Time will tell of course.

I do tend to shy away from the B word but....I should try before judging cause you are right, the functions seem very functional and handy! It's gonna be a learning curve for me as usual. Once I get my set up going and work with it a while I'll try to post some real world experiences for me.

Thanks so much for keeping me updated with your research. Labor of love but I guess we gotta make choices at some point! Let me know how this unit works for you if you go with it. I'm trying to be open minded about Ber. as anyone can change or produce some choice pieces.

kmetal likes this.
  7. kmetal

Home Page:
    Cool man can't wait to hear how your zed works out!!!!

8. vibrations1951

@Boswell
    Greetings. Your help in the past, wiring up insert cables as pre outs on the R16 was spot on and worked like a charm and I thank you..
    I am reconfiguring my cabling and was hoping you could tell me how to wire up a cable to connect the Inserts (utilizing TRS right angle) from the AH Zed R16 as pre outputs to dBsub males for inserting into the backside of my TT patchbay?
    I tried to reason this out but am confused.
    Thanks in advance,
    John

9. vibrations1951

The best I can reason out is to wire the TRS Tip (+) and Ring (-) together. Then the Shield (ground) to the Dsub ground and cold (-) (jumper wire?) and the hot (+) and cold (-) from the TRS together on the hot (+) terminal of the Dsub?

10. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Hi John,

It depends what you want to achieve.

If your goal is effectively to move the insert jack to be on the patchbay (so you have both send and return on the patchbay), then use balanced screened cable to wire TRS tip to D hot, TRS ring to D cold and TRS sleeve to D ground. The mixer signal path will need to be maintained for normal mixing, so you will require a TRS plug with just a tip to ring connection kept in the patchbay jack if you are not looping a device through it.

If you just want the insert send to appear as an unbalanced output at the patchbay jack with no return capability, then connect tip to ring on the TRS plug and take the join via the core of a screened cable to the patchbay hot. Screen of the cable from TRS sleeve to patchbay cold and ground. I think this is functionally the same as what you suggested.

An alternative to this is to separate out the insert send and return at the ptchbay and wire them to the tips of half-normalled jack vertical pairs, with ring contacts grounded. This can be useful if you have a lot of gear that is either unbalanced, is electronically balanced or has floating I/O. I can expand on this if needed.

Check that you have got the correct ground pin for the each signal pair on the D plugs - this can matter on patchbays!

Good luck!

audiokid and Kurt Foster like this.
  11. vibrations1951

Thanks for the quick reply Bos. I'm considering bringing the insert functions onto the patchbay as an alternative you offered. I don't have the need at this time but who knows?
    Could you explain in more detail how I would do this if I decide to?

12. vibrations1951

A
    My intent is to just use the inserts for sends to the patchbay from the pres on the Zed.

13. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    OK, then it's basically the wiring you described in your earlier post, or the slightly different but equivalent wiring in my second suggestion. It's up to you whether you use "balanced" cable to bring the send and return to the patchbay and join them there, or to wire tip to ring on the insert plug and use unbalanced cable up to the patchbay. In both cases, the patchbay cold connects to screen.

14. vibrations1951

Perfect. Thanks again Bos. You are a very handy source and I greatly appreciate your willingness to help out!

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed