Amek System 9098 Pre's

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by tubedude, Oct 24, 2001.

1. tubedude

tubedude Active Member

Any experience and or comments are greatly appreciated. Details, details, details...
    this thing is only aabout $1700 for 2 channels... not TOO bad...

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

They are 'quick' as opposed to 'slow' (ala API which give a compressed thwack on drums or 'juiced overtones' on electrics).

IMHO Good for:

Stunning 'you are there' jazz style recordings
    i.e "my god that shaker sounds like it is in the room next to me"..

If you like a Ry Cooder / Ricky Lee Jones style 'jazz reality' sound these give it BIG TIME! (IMHO).

They help make sounds leap out right at you.. and add a 'classy slickness' I borrowed a 4 way unit for months, I still to this day have repeat clients from that period!!!!!!

I honestly dont know why I never got me some in the end...

Finaly, the cumulative effect of using them on 'everything' (every overdub) made for a stunning overall sound to the projets I used em on...

Anyone else?

:)

3. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Home Page:
    I agree with Jules...they are clean, but with balls. And yes, they are a good deal. Wish I could afford the console (don't we all). Good Luck!

4. MMazurek

MMazurek Member

I've got two of the 9098 EQ units.

My first 'go to' pre for most stuff.

AWESOME eq section.

FANTASTIC with a Distressor or Fatso either between the pre/eq or after. Oh, what the hell, even both sometimes.

5. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

I've tried the 9098 pre/EQ and while I like the EQ I haven't been knocked out by the preamp. Very bland and midrangy to my ear. Is there a difference between the pres in the DMA and the EQ?

6. Originally posted by Jay Kahrs:
    I've tried the 9098 pre/EQ and while I like the EQ I haven't been knocked out by the preamp. Very bland and midrangy to my ear. Is there a difference between the pres in the DMA and the EQ?

The opinions on the 9098 pre/eq seem to be evenly split between those like yours, favoring the eq section and the opposite. I liked the pre, but wasn't exactly thrilled by the eq. Go figure.
    Still, no one seems to dispute the fact that the unit has class.

Predrag