Analog alignment

Discussion in 'Microphones & Recording' started by rtreat, Mar 25, 2002.

1. rtreat

rtreat Guest

The recent Dolby tone question brought up something. How many here can and have fully aligned a 24 or 16 track machine before their sessions, Dolby 361, SR, DBX ? Yea I know it’s not that big a deal for old guys like me. :(

2. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

...remember how you'd race to get done with a "set" (1 k, 10k,bias,etc) before the tone would end and yuo'd have to rewind. How bout the ol' +3/4 db @ 100 on an MTR90 to simulate the bottom of a studer...or +1/8 @ 10k to giev a little edge so that months later there would still be some top. Two machines w/ SR used to take forever until dolby came out with that auto-align rack. Ahh the good old days

3. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Does 8 tracks count? I just never had the money for 16 or 24.

4. Jon Atack

Jon Atack Distinguished Member

True, Recorderman, true…but what's with the past tense? You don't use analog anymore?

I work regularly with an A827 and a JH24…two very different beasts.

Maaaan, I love the analog tape sound. If a project didn't need editing, I'd go to tape and stay there.

Too bad that almost never happens.

Any one here ever try one of the massive formats like 2" 8-track? Or 1" stereo for mixdown?

Jon

5. rtreat

rtreat Guest

When you couldn't wait to try the new high output 2 " tapes; 456 Ampex and 250 Scotch. Anybody ever use 409, 226 ?