1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Analog Summing Boxes ?

Discussion in 'Summing / Mastering consoles' started by Tommy osuna, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

yummm ..... looks tastey!

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Nice Donny,

Am-Munition is how I am able to emulate my entire analog mastering matrix. I am so thrilled with this software. It only gets better as you dig into that whole section of Sampliquoia ( Samplitude or Sequoia) Master Bus. No return for me.

3. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    The jury is still out for me on the other modeling processors on the master bus; am-track, am-phibia and am-pulse are all processors that - at least so far in my experience with them - work best when you aren't seeking "dramatic" results.

I have found that a little goes a long way in terms of tape and tube-pre emulation, (am-track and am-phibia) as is is the same with the transient modeling (am-pulse). It's just little "touches" of those processors that seem to be the most effective.

What I do like about them is that when they are bypassed, the sonics remain truly unchanged, unlike other processors and plugs in other platforms that, when you bypass them, still seem to have an effect on the overall sound, even though they aren't engaged. I found this to be mostly the case with Sonar and its stock plugs, that even when bypassed, as long as they were in the signal chain, the sonics were altered.
    In order for me to truly put them into bypass, I had to actually remove them completely from the processor chain, and with Samp's processors, I don't have to do that - on is on, and off is really off. ;)

4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I don't use those Donny but I'm sure they are useful. Am-Munition, EQ and a limiter is pretty much all I need. The stereo section is coded really well.

5. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    There was time I believe not long go, were i was fighting the good fight to show how another product was superior to what was then the excepted standard. At the time, it had measurable better performance (By a good amount) then anything else on the market, It was also rock study and very reliable. All this at a lower cost of ownership then the major competition. I learned allot of lessons while working for Soundcape Digital.

To try and get people to see the light and take a serious look at the product line, i used allot of the same techniques you are now using on me. (I guess full circle). For those who spoke against it, i said they never used it, let alone seen one in person. For those who said they did, and still stated negative reviews… I in turn questioned their integrity. I had the firm and honest belief, that I had a better solution then what they were using and if only they would listen, get educated and take the time to actually use it,,,, they would see the "light".

AND all the above is archived here on this website… albeit what,,,,,14 years ago?!

We had just completed a Soundscape install at a Post house in downtown LA, while outside smoking a cancer stick, i spoke to one of the engineers (Older one of course). I had expressed some of the frustration I was having "spreading the word of the Light"

"Ya know, if a product is clearly superior, why do people still choose to use the other products that do not even come close?"

He said.."It is not always about spec, or about marketing or even if it really is the best of the best that matters, It's all about how it makes you feel when you use it."

Mackie a few months later did a back door purchase of Soundscape and I was off onto another journey. But that moment has stuck with me, even to this day. The older I get, the more I realize just how right he was.

….. I will not argue about a summing box being more transparent then a console per say. A summing network would be cleaner as a purpose built unit. No doubt.

I know you do not want to hear this, BUT analog gear to include consoles will be built for many years to come. Allot of the consoles in use today, will still be used years from now.

6. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    OMG, are you kidding me. Tactics now. Phony tactics, sales tactics or just tactics?

Okay, lets all go out and buy the Neve console guys. Maybe I could get a commission from Neve if you all believe me.

What do I do with this continued saga, guys? Please help me do the right thing. I'm beyond words right now.:unsure:

Joel,

here is an example of my hybrid rig http://recording.org/index.php?resources/big-mix.9/

What do you see? Analog gear or a DAW?

I just landed a big mixing and producing project for someone . Do you know what I will be using?
    I really wish you the best but I'm begging, please stop.

7. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    It is exactly what you are doing. You are selling your opinion. Wether you realize it or not. You whole heartily believe you have the best approach to achieve the best result. (that's a great thing). That my approach is archaic in comparison, old news and not relevant. Every response has been an attempt to "educate me" rather then being a simple conversation discussing multiple points of view. I too, was trying to educate you in my approach…. But we could never get beyond that. All i got back, was how i was not credible in my assessments…. So what do you do?

8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Joel, you are claiming as someone with experience with summing boxes, and insinuating a few alarming things about a company which was a respect breaker for me with you. . You haven't addressed one thing about the intricacies in summing yet keep pushing consoles here, which is cool enough, but it has little to do with the OP or my direction. Which I explain why. :)

In fact, I am working with a few people who are using laptops quite well.
    I don't believe much of what you are saying here. In fact, I think you are blowing a bunch of wind.

Being said, And this has what to do with summing boxes again?
    What gear did you use with these so called summing boxes? Which one did you hate the most? And why?

Or, why do you feel a console is better for those wanting to learn about summing boxes? You have the floor, Lets hear what you have to say instead of more drama, okay?

9. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    And you say I am missing the point…. My first post in this thread was a direct response to some statements you had made and felt the need to offer a counter point of view… Below are the quotes that got me me to post as well as my original post

then I posted

I was actually helping the idea of using summing boxes while defending the viability of consoles in a studio environment….

10. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Joel, are you upset because I like hybrid summing? Do you somehow feel I have rained on your parade?

I'll be right up front here. I think your console and all the work you have don is commendable but you know what? I think you are heading towards one big headache. Why? Because you are using a console that is going to break, cost endless amounts of money and it will never sound as good as most system like mine. Not even close.

Hey, I have an idea. Do you want to bet me your console for mine? I'll give you my console if I can't make a better sounding mix than you. What do you think?

And if I win, I will give it away in a future contest. Hows that?

11. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    I understand you do not want believe me, that is fine. As to the company and how it may have effected your respect for me? that is crazy, really. far worst things have been said about that company and many others all over the web. I can say allot about allot of companies.

12. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Again,

I have an idea. Do you want to bet me your console for mine? I'll give you my console if I can't make a better sounding mix than you. What do you think?

And if I win, I will give your console away in a future contest. Hows that?

13. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    To even sweeten it up, I won't even use a console.

14. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    LOL now that is funny…. Again that stab, grind the dig.
    No offense taken,,,, no rain on my parade…

You have never heard this desk? how can you asses it? you do not know what changes I have made? Mixes are subjective like colors on a car, what sounds good to you, may not to me. I can pick apart mixes I hate even if that have gone on to win grammies. It is a circle and that is what we are spinning in…...

15. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I wonder if this is now, an interest to our members? Would it be cool if audiokid actually was speaking some truth. And what is the truth?

To be able to make great music on a DAW. To encourage people that they can do it for under $10,000 . ITB.

Imagine what anyone can do with just a summing box? Or, maybe we don't even need that. Maybe its all about listening.

16. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
  17. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    the one consistent thing over the years, humor.

I know you know what my response would be to that…. Mixes are subjective and can never be measured in a true sense of a competition like a race. It is largely a popularity contest and the winner is usually decided as a result of his standing among the voting group.

18. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    How about, who has had the most album sales with their name on it as mix engineer by the end of next year (Dec 31, 2015)? and no my console will not be up for grabs… we will have to come to another more reasonable wager

19. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Words of wisdom there.

BUT, whether you see it or not, This site has never been about selling someone something from me. We've had shills here, and kicked there asses out more than once. The gear pimps , same thing.

I am sharing my experiences that are ALL from actual use.

This would come down to , if a $10,000 ITB studio can even come close, then that would be enough to make us all think. That would be a win in itself.

20. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I might be dead by then.