1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Analog Summing + Printing in other computer

Discussion in 'Summing / Mastering consoles' started by Víctor, Oct 1, 2018.

1. vibrations1951

vibrations1951 Active Member

I think that using my patchbay to mult the Lynx to both the Folcrom and the ST will provide my DAW 1 feed to the ST for immediate button switching between ST feeds for comparison (Chris mentioned this in a latter post). That would add to my overall gain and leveling challenges but manageable I think.

To monitor the DAW 1 mix I would have to find a way in Nuendo to get a 2 bus mix out to the Lynx converter >patchbay. So far this takes a lot of "mousing around" with the sends and groups in Nuendo. So I may have to live with this and try to cut the moves down to as few as possible.

With judicious use of analog gear 2 channel outputs (all out to the patchbay for configuring to send to the ST first) I think I can route the analog chain to ST inputs relatively easily to at least one of the 3 possibly 4 inputs of the ST.
    So that could leave me ST input 1 for DAW 1, St input 2 for analog gear and ST input 3 for DAW 2 capture mix at a minimum.

I apologize to the OP if I've strayed too far working through my situation out loud here. It helps me think this through with the hopes of criticism about my thinking and deficit of experience.
    Thanks for responding Bos. I highly value your experience, expertise and willingness to share like so many others here at RO!

Namin and audiokid like this.
  2. vibrations1951

vibrations1951 Active Member

Thanks, and special thanks to you and Bos as well as so many others here at RO!

It seems to be coming together. You are right about the limits of the Folcrom. If it had the ability of the Dangerous Master or similar, I would have only one move in the ST to get a clean representation of the DAW 1 mix without having to make so many moves, at this point, with re-routing in the DAW 1 first. It is a pain and I lose the audio image in my head rapidly of what I want to compare things with. This is a big loss of the power of this setup!

If I don't figure a better way through the DAW 1 to get a 2-bus feed easier I may have to find a way to cleanly mult and boost the feed from the Folcrom to the ST (='s more gain and leveling challenges). In the long run, it may be more cost effective to replace the Folcrom...sigh. Time, frustration and as always, cash flow will determine this I guess!

Chris, when I first read your posts about this system and variations here from others of the 2 Box setups, I felt the sky open up! Really! Finally others were addressing a way I could keep a lot of my love of analog and at the same time, benefit from the advantages of the digital world. For me, this really works well, and for that I'm so grateful to you and the rest of RO folks for the continuing support and ideas!

Sorry to hear you aren't involved in engineering any longer. Life does take it's turns! I'm "semi-retiring" in 2 months and will be that much closer to doing this full time. Besides the fun for me, it will be a give-back to the youth and small community I love and want to support in a healthy way. Too long a wait but here's hoping. I'm so glad you are keeping this forum going and thanks to you for that!
    Later....

Namin, dvdhawk and audiokid like this.