Analog Summing Valid or Voodoo?

Discussion in 'Summing / Mastering consoles' started by daveski69, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Dykesh

Dykesh Active Member

Well I decided to pass on a Nicerizer before Christmas because I started thinking about which equipment would be most beneficial. I have heard quite a few examples of hardware summing that does seem to show subtle amounts of improvement but what about mix bus compression hardware like SSL, API, Manley etc? And I guess I will need to get my hands on a high end converter to compare to my Apogee Rosetta 200 for DAW2. What are your opinions comparing summing, compressor or better D/A and which one may make the most improvements? Thanks

2. vibrations1951

vibrations1951 Active Member

When I got back to my setup and tried to figure out what I had done before, i found I was monitoring a stereo bus ( with Dangerous ST) from box 2 converter (Antelope Pure 2) (basically from the first DAW as one stereo stem I believe).
    First, from the DAW I sent the "stem" L to channel 1 of the Folcrom panned left and the R Stem to #2 channel of the folcrom hard R. Then the Folcrom 2 bus out to my Phoenix 2 channel pre >Pure 2.
    I hadn't tried grouping stems ITB but had done my panning there.
    When I looked closer, I was experimenting with both mono and stereo tracks to the Folcrom. got totally bogged down and quit. That was a while ago because for various reasons, I haven't been using my equipment for a very long time.
    Anyway, this is a very long winded way of saying thanks for your feedback and it's back to diving in again and learning to use stems more as it makes so much more sense to mix that way, plus it will free up channels in the analog pass with the Folcrom.

audiokid likes this.
  3. vibrations1951

vibrations1951 Active Member

UA 2-610, 2 Millenia 500 series, AEA RPQ 2 channel, Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4 mk2 .
    Many flavors with noticeable differences. I left off with the Phoenix as a favorite at that time for a nice, mostly transparent pre to work with.
    I loved the 610 mojo and the RPQ was very clean as well.
    I am a bit embarrassed that I have such great equipment and little experience. It's just part of my plan to build up stuff to learn on while trying to finish the build, retire and do nothing else but hone my craft in retirement!

pcrecord and audiokid like this.
  4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Well... at one time this was all good for a reason but those days are over.
    IMHO
    There is nothing other than a Bricasti processor that will benefit me more than ITB software. But of course, I use Samplitude software which could be why I don't hear any improvement mixing OTB. But don't get me wrong, I am very much into using analog to pass audio over to another DAW in order to avoid SRC. Note, (incorporating a Folcrom is next on my list)
    I'll say this so you don't think I fall into the trap of "support of purchase" meaning, just because I bought something, I feel I have to like it.
    I take time in all my decisions to figure out if it is the gear I like OTB or reasons leading me to believe otherwise. If you doubt this, take a look at my OTB summing arsenal and see if you think I have done my homework. Being said... go right ahead and try it for yourself but from one colleague to another... don't waste your money on most of the mixing gear today. Buy it for tracking, not mixing or mastering.

I love tracking with compressors and other respected analog products but once ITB, stay ITB. Don't wast your money on OTB mixing comps. Buy a Bricasti and focus on room acoustic improvements.
    If people track great, the performance is great then a DAW will translate that no problem. If the tracking sucks, the performance sucks then all the gear you can afford will not improve one damn thing worth mentioning.

Once ITB, Stay ITB.

:)

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Nice! :love: (y)

6. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Its so good to have another member here with as close a system to what I know so well. You are going to have a blast with that system and I guarantee you will love mixing everything down into stereo groups on DAW1 and sending those OTB to the Folcrom to further the journey towards finishing or mastering.

7. Dykesh

Dykesh Active Member

Thanks for your experiences. I did find your posts about the API 2500 and SSL G. I was debating buying either of those flavors. By the way, I am working thru the Ozone 8 tutorials and that software looks very similar to the types of things Samplitude can do. Very impressive with updated IRC codecs and tons of M/S processing for EQ's and compression.

8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    The SSL can be emulated ITB, however the fade out is a cool feature that I like. The 2500 is excellent for tracking but I wouldn't again, use it for mixing. Either have great use in tracking. None of those have any use to me for OTB mixing. A DAW does a much better job.