annoying bass in CD remasters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cubemonkey, Jan 21, 2020.

1. cubemonkey

cubemonkey Active Member

Home Page:
    I am learning a lot of great stuff here. Studio's etc are not using Dolby ND now are they on CD's? That was just for tape? But they use Dolby compression on CD's?

2. John S Dyson

John S Dyson Active Member

Once in a while, an existing project might use DolbyA on tape, but mostly it is used to decode.
    Please don't ask me about new DolbyA being done, because I am seeing it on Hi Res releases, and it makes me feel nuts when I see it. I don''t know that is going on... The Carpenters singles HiRes from HDtracks is one, McCartney/Wings Band on the run, unlimited is another. Some Simon & Garfunkel remasters still have the DolbyA compression.

All I can say, WTF?
    My decoder for the material now has a release candidate, and I'll send you (or individuals reading this) one if you want. It is ugly and it is mean -- it is Windows command line, but is generally fairly easy to use if you ignore the cmd line instead of GUI.
    (The license manager disables when you do a 'Feral DolbyA' decode, so it should work forever. I decided to turn off the license manager for FA mode, where consumers might be interested. For the commercial, true DolbyA, there is still a licensing scheme enabled.)

John

3. John S Dyson

John S Dyson Active Member

There is now available, a 'decoder', an actual 'decoder' for the latent DolbyA on many distributed digital recordings (both CD and downloads.) It is only 100% accurate if the material wasn't normalized, and amazingly a lot of digital material wasn't normalized. That fact happens to be good for decoding...

If you look at the General Forum in Audiophile Style, I have made some postings and there is a link to an actual FeralA decoder. Internally, there is also an accurate DolbyA decoder. The direct DolbyA decodes require a license file, but for FeralA, the decoder works out of the box without a license. The software is totally safe, and is owned by me. There is a GPL subprogram whose source is also contained in the distribution, but otherwise the software is owned entirely by me, the technology is mine, and you can use it to your hearts content. It really DOES work. Bad news: it is a Windows command line program. I can make Linux versions available on the same terms -- just most audio people live in the Windows world. The decoder works with album length material, and is happy with RF64 files, produces BEXT logs and keeps fairly accurate filte timings -- feralA might be less accurate than DolbyA, but the timing results should still be reasonably good.

Frankly, the Linux version is nicer and it is easier to develop there, and the 1000's of edits all exist on my computer. So, if you want a completely free-to-use feralA decoder, it is there at Audiophile Style. If you are really interested in true DolbyA decoding, I can send a license file for free/liberal time lenght evaluation upon request. The DolbyA (after many many iterations and improvements) produces results that are noticeably more clean than a true DolbyA. That is partially what makes the FeralA results so competent... (Not perfect, but very competent.)

For example, I have an MFSL fully decoded, good quality Carly Simon disk, and the feralA decodes from the normal consumer FeralA distribution are actually somewhat more clean sounding. It isn't the fault of MFSL, but the limitation of the DolbyA HW that they used.

Anyway --look for it at Audiophile Style, the General Forum, look for FeralA. I am not posting to the distribution here because of the instructions and context would be too tedious to reproduce.

John

kmetal likes this.