anyone built a helmholts resonator?

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by stephen_kambeitz, Apr 21, 2002.

1. I would like to build some helmholts resonators in my studio. I have some questions for tose who have.
    The ceiling is 14 ft
    It is 38 ft long
    and 24 ft wide.

I am not sure if I build it per standing wave and then build others os the 1st, 2nd, 3rd harmoninc?
    So at 14 ft the standing wave is 40.35hZ. Do I tune the helmholts to resonate zt 40hZ? Then others at 80hZ , 120hZ , 160hZ?
    or do I build then to any multiple coincidences - which is 282 hZ?
    If anyone knows what exactly I should tune these to gives my room dimensions that would be greatly appreciated.

I was planning on building them 2'X 8', as this I how i have seen most of them are built, do they have to reach to the floor and ceiling or just mounted on the walls in a 2X8 stucture is fine?

Thanks

2. sjoko

sjoko Member

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html
    have a look there, you'll find some decent information.
    The information you have provided is too limited to give you a good response.
    However... if you have a room 38 x 24 x 14 you will need a lot more than a Helmholz. Your first priority will be to try and eliminate standing waves and such, in other words diffusion / absorbsion. When you have done that you can take some measurements in those area's where you have low frequency built-up, and design some traps for those areas.I was curious about "building them 2 x 8" What did you mean with that?