Audio Mastering

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by SAB, May 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. SAB

SAB Active Member

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advise on what I need to provide my customers with when mastering a song.

I've been able to get good reviews from my already standing customers and was wondering if anyone has advised as to what the songs need to have as far as specs:

i.e 16 bit recording, 44.1 kHz.

My songs are almost always pumped to -9 or -8 RMS. It seems to be the norm for most of my customers.

I guess I'm looking for the red tape of mastering standards if anyone can tell me what they are.

Thank for you help.

2. hackenslash

hackenslash Active Member

I've only just joined this forum, but knowing some of the members from other fora, you just asked the most flameworthy question of them all. Get yourself a copy of the Bob Katz book and post again when you have read it twice.

http://www.digido.com

While you're there, look around the rest of the site for lots of good info and advice from one of the industry's most well-respected MEs.

As for your levels, common wisdom says a lot lower than that.

3. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Eloquently stated sir. And Bob's book, as great as it is, doesn't really cover much in that regard. The book isn't nearly big enough for that.

But it's true -- That's an award-winning question if I've ever seen one. And on top of that, there are about 8 million wrong answers and 3 million right answers. Everyone has their own style. Of course, a disc is either compliant or it's not - You get an "A" or an "F" as far as that goes -- Although compliance is only a tiny, tiny part of making a "proper" production master. A monkey with CD Architect can make a *technically* compliant disc.

4. hackenslash

hackenslash Active Member

You're absolutely right, John. The one thing Bob's book did for me was to highlight how many more questions I need answered before I even consider building a mastering room, and I've been a mix engineer for a long time.

Good information sources are like that, for me. Every answer leads to more questions, which is one of the main reasons I always point people to Bob's book. I would never say it's the MEs bible, but it's about the best starting point I can think of offhand. That and reading the fora and listening lots. :cool:

Incidentally, do you know if there's any word on Bob yet?

5. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I heard he was back to work - Second hand info... I'd give him a buzz, but I really don't want to bug him... But maybe... :?