Aux sends feeding the cue mix

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by karambos, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. karambos

    karambos Guest

    Up to now, I've been communicating with the tracking room via the PHONES socket on my Behringer Eurorack MX2642A

    However, I'm aware that some (most?) people cue using the aux sends. But the aux sends on my desk are mono i.e. when I plug my headphones into one of the aux sends, it only comes through in one ear. Whereas the PHONES socket is stereo.

    Am I to take it that when creating a cue mix using aux sends, you need a seperate mixer in the tracking room in order to be able to have a stereo mix?

    What if you had two musicians each needing a headphone mix but one wanted, say, more guitar/less vox and the other more bass/less guitar?
  2. EricK

    EricK Guest

    You need to take the output of the aux sends and plug that into a headphone amp. You can use two mono aud sends to create a stereo mix. If you want something panned to the center, turn up both the left and the right aux equally. If you need something panned at about 9 o'clock, turn up the "left aux", and then turn up the right aux not quite as much.

    good luck.
  3. karambos

    karambos Guest

    Thanks for the reply Erik.

    I have another question. Am I right in thinking, that a headphone amp takes a mono signal from and splits the signal into two, sending one signal to the left and one to the right ears?
  4. David French

    David French Well-Known Member

    Jun 19, 2002
    I suppose you could think of it that way.

    I checked out your website... that is a lot of foam! Nice!
  5. karambos

    karambos Guest

    Many thanks for the compliment, David!

    Another question if I may: At the back of the SMProAudio hp4 headphone amp (which would be ideal for me as each headphone channel is switchable to one of two input mixes) there are Left and Right ins for each of the two alternative mixes. Am I right in thinking that this mean that the left in will only go to the left headphone and the right to the right? Or should those Left and Right inputs actually be called Input 1 and Input 2 because they get split and sent to each ear?

    the reason I ask is because if I take an instrument cable from aux 1 and insert it into the Left input, presumably, I'll only get aux 1 in the left ear when I really want it in the rght ear.
  6. Kurt Foster

    Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

    Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    I use Rane phone amps but this will probably apply to any good headphone amps ...

    The aux 1 send feeds the left ear ... the aux 2 send feeds the right ear ... The alternitive is to switch the phone amp to mono and then the aux one will be in both ears. Then you need to patch aux 2 into a second channel of the phone amps channel 2 input and the will be your second mix. With a Macke mixer you should be able to set up 4 mono phne mix's by useing the 3 & 4 aux send switched to pre send to make up to 4 independent phone mixs.

Share This Page