Beginning Recording Advice please

Discussion in 'Microphones & Recording' started by SimnaWeb, Aug 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. SimnaWeb

SimnaWeb Guest

Okay, I am just going to repost this because I made the same post over in the pro gear section. God forbid I want pro advice. Now I'm spamming by making a double post. Great.

2. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

I've heard really good things about the 2003 and the 603's I haven't really heard much good about anything else and if you wanna buy something you won't wanna throw out in a few years then don't buy anything from samson.

3. SimnaWeb

SimnaWeb Guest

Thanks on the samsons. Does anyone else have thoughts on them? I know a lot of people have praised the E835's for being equal to or better than the SM58s.

Eric

4. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I will repost this from your other thread.

I have a pretty good mic cabinet (AT, Neumann, AKG, Senn. Etc.) I also own a couple cheaper MXL mics and they are actually pretty good for the $$. Is my MXLV69ME Tube Condenser Microphone as good as a a U47. No, but there is not a 5 thousand dollar difference. I actually used it on a session for a major album release the other day because it sounded better on the person I was recording.

I have also used the 909 and it is not bad for the $$. One thing I am really surprised is I was in a bind for some extra drum mics and cash was short so I picked up the Samson drum package with 7 mics for 200 bucks. I figured these will suck, guess what, they where not horrible, they where not great but they where usable. Once I spent a bit of time making sure the kit was tuned properly and threw the mics on it was very usable for the demo I was recording. Would I use them for a major release? no. But for 200 bucks I now have a few more mics to play around with.

I feel every mic cheap or expensive has a place. I hope that helps.

5. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

You asked about the sennheiser's the 835's or whatever. I haven't heard those particular mics but I can say that I've never heard a sennheiser I didnt like. I owned both the e609 and e604's and loved them great mics. I'm planning on getting 421's for my toms and guitar cabs soon.