Behringer Xenyx x1222usb - Computer audio volume control on the mixer?

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by robinjection, Dec 5, 2016.

1. robinjection

robinjection Active Member

I record a podcast and I recently got the behringer xenyx x1222usb to record myself and some friends. I plug the board into my PC, using Adobe Audition.

Sometimes, I'd like to play some audio from the computer I'm using to record back into the board. (Example: A Youtube video playing from the computer that's recording live, as me and my cohosts do commentary over it) When I try to do this, there doesn't seem any volume control on the mixer. Is there any way to control the volume from the board? Or are my laptop's onboard audio controls the only way?

Also, it seems Audition does not pick up the audio coming from my computer. Do I have to press something on the mixer for it to record the audio coming back in. Is this even possible? Thanks!

2. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    The built-in USB interface allows for a bi-directional transfer of the raw (non-fader or EQ) audio and effects to and from your computer.
    So you should be able to choose one of the channel on the mixer as output in the DAW software. That way the signal won't go to the master out but to one of the inputs mics or lines

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    The USB connectivity on the Xenyx X1222usb is a bit of a joke. You can record the main mix output only (at 16-bit) to the USB host, and output 16-bit audio from the USB host into the main mix via the 2-TR/USB RTN fader. You should be able to use that fader to control the level of the audio coming back from the computer.
    Can you clarify what you mean by "volume from the board"? The level into the USB will be controlled by the Main Mix faders.

I don't understand what you mean by "Audition does not pick up the audio coming from my computer". When you have Audition running, by default, it's Audition that generates the audio from the computer. I don't use Audition, but you may be able to re-assign this routing in the Windows control panel.

4. robinjection

I figured out the first thing, so no problem there.

So this is a podcast. I mean that while I am recording in Audition, say we want to talk about a music video and play some audio from it. On the computer I am recording the podcast on, I will load up a browser and go to Youtube and play the music. I hear the music in my headphones, it is coming through the board - BUT Audition does not record the audio that I am hearing because its coming from the same computer that's recording the sound. Does that make more sense?

5. pcrecord

Home Page:
    I had to read the manual.. planted deception from Berhinger ! (n)

6. robinjection

I figured that out, can control the volume in the mixer. But I can't seem to record back into the computer sadly as explained one thread above.

7. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I take it this is not a live podcast - you are recording it for later streaming, is that right?

Where are the headphones plugged in: the phones output on the mixer or the output of your computer sound card? If you are hearing the Youtube sound at the mixer's phones output, then it is present on the mixer and the USB/RTN fader will mix it into the main output, from where it and your mixed-in voices will go back into the computer via the USB input. If it's the sound card output you are listening to on headphones, you need to change the audio default output in the Windows Control Panel so that it's set to be the mixer (via USB).

Audition will record whatever is routed into it. It has no knowledge of what a separate application may be trying to play through the computer sound output. It's you that has to route things to make the link between them.

8. jaimex99

jaimex99 Active Member

I understand that this is 3 years later, so my apologies if this is not useful to you anymore, but it might be useful to future people who are asking themselves about what to do or how to hook up this device to their computer.
    I just bought a Xenyx X1222USB and tried to do exactly what you tried. I got it to work by doing this:

I use Garageband, but I am sure it will work with any other DAW.

Connect the MAIN MIX from the X1222usb through the XLR output to your computer. You can use a splitter (2 female XLR to 1 male 3.5mm). This should be hooked up to your regular 3.5mm input in the back of your computer (your sound card).

From your DAW (Audition, in your case), select the input and output sources in the following way:
    Input: Built-in input. (This will record what you sent from the XLR MAIN MIX into your sound card).
    Output: Built-in output. (This will let you listen to the MAIN MIX if you monitor your source through the computer headphones 3.5mm jack).

Now comes the magic.
    From your computer audio settings (System Preferences on a Mac), select the mixer (USB Audio CODEC) as your output. <=That is the important part.
    Your input should also be the USB Audio CODEC if you want to use the return in the mixer. But what you choose as your input here does not matter for these purposes.

You will notice that if you monitor your audio from your DAW, you will ONLY be able to listen to sounds played by the computer if you raise the 2-TR/USB RTN fader and the MAIN MIX fader.
    The same happens when you record. If the fader in the 2-TR/USB RTN is all the way down, you won't hear anything from YouTube, for example, even if you are hearing things played through your DAW, but this is because the MAIN MIX is coming into the DAW, and by selecting the Mixer as the output for your computer (USB Audio CODEC), you are routing the audio played by your computer THROUGH the mixer.

Again, this may not help you anymore, but it might help someone else in the future.

Happy recordings!!

kmetal likes this.
  9. pcrecord

Home Page:
    I'm glad you made it work for you.
    The story and setup throw me back to 96' when I started to record with soundblaster cards..
    Computer sound cards work but are not ideal. I'd rather work with a small Scarlett interface instead of having an entry level mixer and a computer soundcard..
    but I respect anyone who does what it need to create music !
    So I'll drink to that ! ;)

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed