1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

Behringer Xenyx x1222usb - Computer audio volume control on the mixer?

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by robinjection, Dec 5, 2016.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Kyle1974

Kyle1974 Active Member

Hi Jaime

I think so....

So in Windows, for example, I select output as USB Codec and the PC input as LINE IN with a cable running FROM the mixer to the Line In on the soundcard?

2. Kyle1974

Kyle1974 Active Member

In the past my chain was...

Mixer with processed mics plugged in, USB cable to PC. That was the input.

I then played music using one of my DJ packages and controlled the music using software. I could open the mic and speak and my voice would get mixed in the with the PC music.

I could hear the whole thing through headphones on the PC. (Not when my headphones were plugged into the mixer phones socket though as I had no way of getting music BACK from the PC into the Mixer)

Does that make sense?

3. jaimex99

jaimex99 Active Member

Yes. In windows you output from the computer through the usb cable and hook up the line in (into the computer) with a 3.5mm from the mixer’s main mix and into the sound card.

Kyle1974 likes this.
  4. Kyle1974

Kyle1974 Active Member

Thank you both. I am doing a show tonight so don’t want to mess things up but I will try straight after the show.

I am very excited that I might finally have a solution.

5. jaimex99

jaimex99 Active Member

With the arrangement I recommend, you should monitor THROUGH the computer by plugging your headphones into the sound card, and selecting that (the headphone out) as your output in your DAW, whatever software you use.

Kyle1974 likes this.
  6. jaimex99

jaimex99 Active Member

And if you want to output that into a sound system (speakers at a location), you can either split the 3.5mm from the XLR main mix to come out both to the speakers and into your computer, or you can split it at the monitor stage, when it comes out from the computer and into your headphones (with a splitter from the line out onto both your headphones and the speaker). I hope that makes sense.

My original arrangement assumes you are just recording into the computer for later distribution. But my description above allows you to send the mixed audio out at the same time.

Kyle1974 likes this.
  7. Kyle1974

Kyle1974 Active Member

That’s brilliant, I kinda have it in my head now. I also think now I have grasped it that it will work on my Linux set up as well. Will report back.

8. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I still can't understand why you don't use the mixer as intended by the maker ; as a USB interface and not using the soundcard of the computer.. Using 2 audio device is always a mess with windows...

9. Kyle1974

Kyle1974 Active Member

Hi

Because I want to be able to control the sound levels using the mixer, ie, taking music from the pc, doing my levels and mics and then outputting back to the PC.

Otherwise I would have to play all my music off CDs/iPod conn to the mixer and then output that into the PC? If there’s a better way I’ll try it. My chain I currently have is as above.

10. Kyle1974

Kyle1974 Active Member

The other option is to buy another pc to record the mixed output to but I don’t have the money or the space.

The posts here have been helpful, but I should be using my mixer as a usb device to run the mics and then play the music in after as I have been doing?

I’m just confused now by your post? I won’t change anything and will do it as I have been doing

11. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    The USB input to that mixer is not very useful - the audio from the PC only goes via the 2-track fader to the main mix output and hence via USB back to the PC. There's no route from USB in to Aux/Mon out, so you can't, for example, listen to replayed audio on headphones while dubbing more live tracks. It really only serves for playing music from a computer to the main loudspeakers during the intervals while bands are changing over.

Kyle1974 and pcrecord like this.
  12. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Thanks Bos.. I thought the signal from the PC could be sent to a channel somehow... I guess buying a true audio interface would be a better choice don't you ;)

13. Kyle1974

Kyle1974 Active Member

Ok, so I should abandon the behringer and just buy a Focusrite or similar? Keeping in mind, I have bought my external CD players, two decent mics and two DBS286 units. Not to mention the actual mixer. I should just discard all that and go for something different?

Or is the smiley face in some way making out I’m an idiot for not really understanding? I was just asking whether it was possible and from the replies it looks like it’s not without causing me more problems.

If there is a mixer that will let me do what I am after, I will pay to get another unit if one can be recommended.

14. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Purely in terms of signal routing rather than signal quality, I would ignore the USB output from the computer going to the mixer, and take the stereo headphone signal out of the soundcard into two mono input channels of the mixer. Pan these hard L and R if necessary. Use the mixer's USB output to take the 2-track mix back into the computer.

In that way, you have mixer control over what is played by PC software, what is being sent live to the mixer from external inputs, and the balance of the 2-track mix.

As other contributers have mentioned, with a few exceptions, the audio quality of standard PC soundcards is not very high. Almost any external audio interface would give a better quality result for both recording and playback. However, this is personal taste, and it should be possible to make the route involving the soundcard work.

Kyle1974 likes this.
  15. Kyle1974

Kyle1974 Active Member

Thank you, I will have another try tomorrow

16. Kyle1974

Kyle1974 Active Member

Hi

So I have been giving this some more thought...

I actually have two soundcards in the pc plus the behringer mixer one. How would I configure it so one soundcard feeds to the mixer and then out of the mixer to the second soundcard? Is that possible?

Kyle

17. pcrecord

Home Page:
    I would deactivate one soundcard (or remove it) then use only 1 soundcard to be the input and output for the mixer.
    As Boswell suggested, I wouldn't use the USB of the behringer at all..

Actually no, I would get rid of the Behringer and those soundcards and buy 1 proper audio interface, RME, Focusrite or Presonus, with enough inputs and outputs for the job I need to do.. but that's just me ;)

18. Kyle1974

Kyle1974 Active Member

Right, but how does an audio interface on it’s own actually help me do my radio show which is a mix of music and talking. I’m not recording my own music or instruments. I’m not being arsey, I genuinely don’t understand what you think I’m trying to do or why? Are you saying I should not use a mixer/desk to do my show?

19. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Look, I was talking about what I would do.. you are entitled to do what ever you want...
    If the mixer route I would take, it wouldn't be a low cost behringer. . more like a Zed mixer or a Presonus digital mixer
    https://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/zed-series/
    https://www.presonus.com/produits/fr/StudioLive-16
    Again, personnal preferences...

That's the thing every audio interface has a realtime mixer (software) and most let you direct any inputs to any outputs.
    The idea is to use just one interface with one link to the computer and have many inputs and outputs to chose from in your software(s) and use just ONE DRIVER !!

The problem with your mixer is that it is not wired to be used as a multi channel interface. It only transfers the master channel to the computer and this at 16bit/48khz
    Low price mixers like that are barely good for live work. An average audio interface will have better preamps, lower noise floor and will allow to record at 24bit/96khz.

So it all depends how you work and with what software. Some streaming software will do the mix internally, your voice, adds, songs etc will be mixed inside the computer.
    But if everything is external, CD player or MP3 player, your mic, a sampler for special effects, then you don't need more than what the behringer offers, main to computer.
    Then if you use a mix of the 2, external and internal sounds effects + your voice + mp3 in the computer, it can be done both with a mixer and an interface. but the mixer should have better in/out capability than what you have..

Don't get me started on sound cards.. they are rarely of any quality. Some don't even have line level input and going into a mic input is just crap.. ;)

In conclusion, to me, every single cable and every hardware you fiddle with are a points of failure and sound degradation. Using a mixer and 2 soundcards seems like a bad idea.. at least to me !!

20. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Well-Known Member

don't worry about it. we're a freaks about high fidelity because our purpose is to record music. podcasting doesn't need to sound that great and for many the quality of the sound card on their computers is plenty good. if you're happy with how it sounds then all is well. Boswell gave you a great solution.

Kyle1974 and pcrecord like this.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed