Best AES/EBU PCI card

Discussion in 'Computing' started by audiokid, May 21, 2010.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Summed analog 2-bus out of Lavry AD10 into second PC. Need a AES/EBU PCI card.

Any suggestions?

2. audiokid

Home Page:
    Looking around I just found this: Hmm, pretty cool and priced well.
    http://www.marian.de/en/products/trace_pro_ae

e p_left_trace_pro_ae.jpg

3. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

Fehler: Seite nicht gefunden. (Fehler-Code: 404)

4. audiokid

Home Page:
    Wir haben es! Danke

http://www.marian.de/en/products/trace_pro_ae

5. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Maybe a bit too much for what you need, but excellent devices...

RME: Hammerfall DSP AES-32
    RME: HDSPe AES

6. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Chris - is your AD10 fitted with the S/PDIF optical output jack and/or did it come with the AES/EBU - S/PDIF adaptor? I think if you have a short run between the converter and the computer you would get better value by going S/PDIF into either an RCA connector or an optical input. Your computer may already have one of these interfaces, or else they are available cheaply, even as a USB device. There is no audio quality issue here, as the signal is already digital. Well-supported drivers would be a pre-requisite, however.

If you pursue the AES/EBU route and want some recommendation for the interface cards you liked to, I use Marian ADAT interface boards, and they work reliably.

7. audiokid

Home Page:
    Hi guys,

Good news!

Yes, AD10 comes with the AES/EBU - S/PDIF adaptor and would be 6 ft distance.

I tried connecting S/PDIF some time back (when you guys helped me with the MixDream and FF800 threads) but it didn't seem to show a connection on my PC so I figured I need something else or I'm doing something incorrect. My PC has light, I'm assuming its active.
    When you say driver, what driver would I use? I expected Lavry would have their own driver when I first received it, but apparently I'm so out of date, learning there must be something I'm not doing right or need installed?

Something else I'm curious about: Can I take advantage of the Lavry Clocks being better for everything I'm doing? Using DAW> analog out of FF800> to MixDream> 2-bus to Dangerous Master AD10 to second PC?

What would you do with my rig?

8. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    If the optical jack on your PC is showing red light, it's an output and not an input. An optical input should be a black hole. Are there a pair of optical jacks, with one showing red?

The software driver I mentioned is the one for the S/PDIF interface. If the interface is built into the computer motherboard, the mobo manufacturer should issue and maintain the driver. If it's a plug-in card, the card manufacturer is responsible. It's never going to be Lavry or the makers of the gear that's sending the S/PDIF signal, unless you happen to use an RME S/PDIF interface card as well as using the FF800.

Regarding clocking on the setup you describe, I would use the FF800 running on its internal clock for the outputting, and the AD10 running on its internal clock for capturing the 2-track mix. Given the design quality of those two pieces of gear, running this way will give you better stability than piping wordclock around using BNC or S/PDIF. There has been some debate as to whether the capture system should be synchronized to the replay system for analog mixdowns, but I generally leave them free-running as I am more often than not going from 96KHz replay to 44.1KHz capture.

audiokid likes this.