Best Mastering Compressors

Discussion in 'Compressors / Limiters (analog)' started by studiosound, May 17, 2011.

1. studiosound

studiosound Guest

What are people using for mastering compression? Thanks.

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hardware or Software?

Hardware... I have the CharterOak SCL-1 that I'm just getting to know. I'm still too unfamiliar with it to give a solid mark. Having this plus something with big personality would satisfy my needs. Manley, API maybe next but a ways down the road.

For software, Sequoia 11 comps rock, but after I posted a reply I see this is posted in the Home Studio Mastering Forum so you must be talking plug-ins and I'm in the wrong forum.

3. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Cranesong either one is cool with me

4. mdb

mdb Active Member

Plug-ins are most economical for you. I don't really master anything, but I try my best. I just bought the UAD-2 Fairchild 670 plug-in and the original Fairchild 670 compressor hardware is worth $30,000. For $99.99 (on sale) I thought it was a really good deal. And if I have 25 recorded tracks I can have 25 Fairchild 670 compressors in my DAW. That many hardware versions would cost me +$1 MILLION BUCKS !! Good value for $100.

5. tayzin

tayzin Active Member

I go for Waves
    CLA Classic Compressors

Great comps about $500

6. Ripeart

Ripeart Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't master but I'll sometimes throw my mixdowns into T-racks. I think I get fairly musical and dynamic results.

It's not so much about the tool as it is the one using it though, to a certain degree.

7. Ripeart

Ripeart Active Member

Home Page:
    Lol. I love it.

8. rickschweitzer

rickschweitzer Member

Use the UAD II mastering suite: Precision EQ, Limiter, Multi-band and Maximizer. They work very well. I have not had the opportunity to use outboard gear other than preamps and compressors. I suspect that hardware including summing amps, etc, would all contribute to the sonic clarity.

9. Audio Alex

Audio Alex Active Member

The Wave emulation seems to add some harmonics and is not transparent enough IMO to be a good choice as a good compressor choice for mastering purposes, but I have never used it in that fashion.

10. matthewty

matthewty Member

Hardware vs Software

From what i hear, the difference between hardware and software is kinda like a tube amp and a solid state amp, hardware = Tube, software=solid state, coming from a guitarist, i think if you can afford it, hardware is the way to go

11. Red Mastering

Red Mastering Active Member

Home Page:
    plugins are much cheaper, if you compare a great plugin,
    for example PSP MasterComp (my fav. mastering plugin), to hardware compressor - well
    plug costs 10x less then hardware, and remember - you can use as many plugs within project as you wish (until you kill you cpu power:)

12. SASman

SASman Active Member

Home Page:
    I adore my Summit DCL-200, have a lovely enveloping ability.

When it comes to compression in mastering you need to ask what you are planning to achieve and have a very clear goal. This will determine equipment choices.

cheers

online mastering

13. Red Mastering

Home Page:
    Summit is great compressor, but very 'slowly', hence not really usable on some audio content,
    also it's nice piece of mojo, and not very cheap:)
    I also use hardware compressors, but I think plugins (if you really know which one to use&when&how)
    are absolutely great, and for many jobs, when budget is ...very tight - does wonders

14. Crystal Mixing

Crystal Mixing Active Member

Home Page:
    Waves SSL 4000 comp can be good, and can be good for the low end tightening.
    I prefer the PSP Master compressor.

G

15. Red Mastering

Home Page:
    agree,
    I actually use hardware version of Waves ssl:)
    and it's great for such a task

16. Red Mastering

Home Page:
    agree,<br>I actually use hardware version of Waves ssl:)<br>and it's great for such a task<br>

17. SASman

SASman Active Member

Home Page:
    Well in many instances you want to apply a character from any given piece of equipment
    that is not GR related. Vari Mu is also typically slow but plenty are used for mastering.

As far as SSL type I found this works for me only in parallel for mastering (and I have better options anyway), it's predictable control
    of a very specific nature and that surely does not work for all music/genres.

cheers

online mastering studio

18. sickfiction

sickfiction Active Member

I used Waves for years, but I really like the Slate Digital FGX mastering unit. You really know when you're over-cooking it but it lets a nice loud master though with plenty of breathing space for transients. No EQ on it though.

19. Red Mastering

Home Page:
    truly fgx is interesting plugin,
    it has a very good arranged metering - kudos for it!
    and I like it's compressor with slowish att/rel settings;
    it's also a winner in limiter competition for rock/guitar music - sounds very good

20. balsampillow

balsampillow Active Member

Home Page:
    I have great success with Waves C4 and Oxford Inflator... also Waves L2 (TDM Pro Tools)