Best Microphones for live recording of classical chamber music concert ?

Discussion in 'Chamber' started by concertmaster, Mar 7, 2010.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Howard -
    Let me know if you're interested in picking up another MicroTrack II. I have 2 in boxes that I bought for a specific purpose and have found that I no longer need them. I'd be willing to part with either of them for $139 (again - still sealed in the box). I'll likely keep one of them.
    Cheers!
    J.

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Sorry...I suppose rather than just spamming with an ad for Howard, I could also input my thoughts.

So far, I think the advice has been good.
    Skip the mixer.
    Get a good pair of flexible mics. (Flexible being the key! While I LOVE my Schoeps CMC 6 MK2Ss, I would definitely NOT consider them to be flexible. Put them in a horrible, noisy venue and you'll hate them!) I like my Sennheiser MKH 8040s as a good, flexible pair of mics that are SUPER tiny to boot!
    Get a good HD or SD recorder (I have the Korg 1000 and like it a lot. However, I wouldn't consider it to be the most reliable. While it's never failed, it is HD based. Consider the stuff from Oade - especially the R44.)
    Grab the cables the way AmpexGuy mentioned. Get them modular! Personally, I've begun making my own thin cables using Canare thin cable (their 2XXX series) and it sounds and works GREAT. At less than half the weight and size of traditional cable, it saves me a LOT of headache and back ache.

Keep us posted on your progress and status.
    Best wishes,
    J.

3. husky band

husky band Guest

I have an Avantone CK-40 stacked stereo condenser that does well with my wind ensembles. It will record xy, m/s, and Blumlein. It was $599.00 at Sweetwater

Avantone CK-40 | Sweetwater.com