Beyerdynamic 160 or 130 [vs] Royer's ??

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by jeremyhillaryphd, Dec 27, 2001.

• Royer ribbon microphones - Why?

Simply put, when you put a quality ribbon mic on an instrument, voice, or other sound source, what you hear on playback is closer to real sound in nature than with any other kind of microphone.

1. Any general or specific thoughts/opinions about the pros and cons of the quality or character differences between the two brands?

Thanks

2. dynamo12

dynamo12 Guest

I have a pair of M-130's and you can't go wrong with them. They are also very sturdy mikes and can withstand a lot of sound pressure.
    The tone is on the " dark" side and they don't have the sexiness and luscious sound of, to compare with something i know, and RCA 44 or bk-5. The back sounds exactly the same as front.
    The M 160 is the Hiper brother and it seems slightly more open on mids while M 130 does not really make you any gift.
    You still can make and Hyper pattern from M 130 covering the back with i.e. a pop filter or
    a piece of foam at certain distance.
    The bi-directional pattern is more versatile in my opininon and offer you a wider range of playng around.
    I never had the pleasure of tryng a Royer, assuming you are talking about the R-121, but from what i hear and read you really should not go wrong with it. Also, as you probably know, the back is a little bit brighter than front so you are given the chance of suiting the tone for the application. In the same range i would check also
    Mr. Coles...
    Other considerations are what you are going to use
    the mike/s for( that can lead to decide for Hyper or 8, Blumlein in your mind ??) and of course your budget. Two Beyers are less than 1 Royer/Coles.
    An high quality preamp with a lot of gain is part of the deal...
    Hope this can be a little bit of help. Jo

3. GZsound

GZsound Active Member

Home Page:
    I use a Beyer 160 on my sax and for fiddle when I record acoustic bluegrass. It is a very warm mic and lacks the harshness I get when I use any other dynamic.

I haven't tried the other ribbons, but I have read nothing but good about the Royer's. I've had the Beyer for years and I love it.

4. GZsound

GZsound Active Member

Home Page:
    I just realized I put the wrong number on that last post. I have a Beyer M260 not 160. Sorry about that..engage brain before fingers.

• Royer ribbon microphones - Why?

Simply put, when you put a quality ribbon mic on an instrument, voice, or other sound source, what you hear on playback is closer to real sound in nature than with any other kind of microphone.