Big Ben

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Michael Fossenkemper, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    i'm thinking of getting the apogee big ben. any of you have any thoughts on this or have one?

2. AudioKing

AudioKing Guest

Do it - You won't be sorry. We replaced our AardsyncII with a Big Ben and haven't looked back. The Aardsync is a great clock, to be sure, but it's just not as flexible as the Big Ben.

3. Michael Fossenkemper

Home Page:
    Thanks Aaron, I think i'm going to demo one for a few days. I have so many things I want a not enough buckage to go around.

4. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

Is it a must to have a clock if you only have about 3 digital instruments?
    As i see it you need a clock to get units in sync, but they are already in sync if one is master and the other 2-3 units are in slave.

Is the clock needed to make better digital noise performence?

5. Michael Fossenkemper

Home Page:
    Yeah, i'm looking to get better performance out of some of my converters, instead of buying a bunch of new converters. right now I clock some of my other converters to an apogee clock and it does sound better, but Big Ben is supposed to be much better.

6. golli

golli Active Member

Well in PT world, if you have two digital units one can be the master and the other a slave. But three units and beyond does require a master clock, because the slaves need to be in sync with each other to (but not just, independently, in sync with the master). So, when buying a new piece of gear, make sure that it has a BNC connector on it (not all of them do have it).

7. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

well technically they are in sync with eachother....? each to the same source!?
    ...And that is also the case with a master clock, each unit is in sync with the same master.

8. golli

golli Active Member

As I said in Pro-Tools world , you can't for instance, use both the ADAT and S/Pdif at once with out a master clock. When you use an external digital unit, that unit becomes the master and they can't, both be the masters (ADAT and S/Pdif, that is).