Cable Length signal loss

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by audiokid, Apr 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I'm building my cable length's. Choosing Mogami

Analog

4' snakes would be really clean but you never know if those cables might be needed down the path at a longer lenght. How many times do we say that after the fact. :mad:

Questions:

Has anyone ever added an extension to 25PIN DSUB 8 channel snake to add extra length for analog? pro's cons?

High end audio: Is there a noticeable latency or audio degradation from 4' to 16'

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

4' or 16' shouldn't make any difference. There would be far more difference in adding additional connectors. However, since you are dealing with patchbays I think any loss would be negligible or almost unmeasurable at 16'. 200' would be a different story.

3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Thanks John,

What is the average length for patch cord?

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

I have some that are 1.5' and some that are 30'. Granted, most of the 30' are left over from live PA days getting to and from FX racks but I admit to using them once in a while now. I think you should sketch out where your racks are going to reside and then make/purchase your cables accordingly. If you use great wire and great connectors it shouldn't be a problem. Of course that's my opinion and others more experienced here may disagree.