cable question

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by jackson413, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. jackson413

    jackson413 Active Member

    Nov 7, 2005
    ok so im attempting to save a few bucks by putting together my own cables to connect my digi002 with my event aSP8's. I read somwhere that using balanced connections has the most advantages so im looking to make a 10' cable with one end a TRS(002) and the other a male XLR(sp8) for each. this apparently requires a 3 conductor type cable. Does anyone have any brand suggestions for this type of speaker cable. also i have access to mogami w2549 balanced mic cable and was wondering if this would work... since this is a "mic cable" and not "speaker cable" im not sure if this will cause problems or will work. If someone could shed the light on this i would be in much appreciation.

  2. Reggie

    Reggie Well-Known Member

    Dec 20, 2004
    Unless your post is misworded, you don't need a speaker cable. This isn't going between a power amp and your monitor speakers, is it? If it is just sending the signal out of your Digi and into your powered monitors, then the cable you mentioned is fine. Just watch your pins on the connectors. The copper shield goes to pin 1 of the XLR and to the sleeve (big halfpipe looking part) of the TRS. I usually use the white wire to go from pin2 of the XLR to the tip (center) connection of the TRS. The last wire (blue?), if you haven't guessed, goes from Pin 3 XLR to the ring of the TRS.

    At least this is the standard connection that should work for most situations.
  3. dwoz

    dwoz Guest

    You're connecting a powered monitor to your audio interface. A cable with an XLR on one end and a TRS on the other sounds like the ticket. pin 1 on xlr goes to TRS sleeve, pin 2 XLR goes to TRS tip, pin 3 XLR goes to TRS ring.

    The only thing that makes a cable a "microphone cable" is that it has a microphone plugged into it. Take that same cable and put it between your converter and your monitor, and it becomes a "monitor cable".

    The only thing you need to know here, is that generally, speaker cables are unshielded, or at least, not coax. That's because, at high power levels, coax cable develops some kicking good capacitance, and you don't want that. So, twisted pair unshielded, or plain-0ld zip cord, is the speaker lead of choice.

    Since you've got a powered monitor there, you're not feeding speaker level signal on that wire, so you just need a regular old line level interconnect. The mogami should do nicely.

  4. jackson413

    jackson413 Active Member

    Nov 7, 2005
    Thanks guys for clearing that up. Im glad i already have the right cable then.

    Thanks again.

Share This Page