Can i rig my midi keyboard to play a certain sound/recording using my SL 24.4.2?

Discussion in 'Synths / Samplers & VSTi' started by FrostAtronach, Feb 8, 2013.

1. FrostAtronach

FrostAtronach Active Member

Hi there, I just found this website while searching for the solution to my problem. I'm in a band and on our cd we used a couple "intros" that are not music. For example we have a song about zombies and the beginning of it sounds like a zombie hoard being shot with a machine gun. Back to the point, I was wondering if it is possible for me to be able to have my Axiom 61 keyboard on stage to trigger these sounds using its "pads"

My gear: Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2 into a Sony Vaio laptop, Keyboard is an M-Audio Axiom61.

I'm sure i could have explained this better, but i hope someone knows what I'm talking about. I'm sure its relatively easy and possible to do. Thanks for the help!

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I think I get what you are saying and for me this would be so simple using my sampler. You record that part into a Midi sampler (because your M-Audio Axiom61 is Midi compatible) then assign that sample to a key (pad) on your M-Audio Axiom61 and play it at will. That's how we do it.

Check ebay or your local music store for a used midi sampler that works. You don't need anything special if this is all you use it for.

3. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

Could you clarify please?

Are you recording the live show to the laptop?
    Are you using the laptop to create a wireless network?
    Is the keyboard currently connected to the for virtual synths or anything?

4. FrostAtronach

I am using the laptop to control/mix the show in a live scenario. I have used the keyboard in a studio setting to record virtual instruments. It's a simple midi to usb into the laptop. No networks needed.

5. FrostAtronach

Thanks for the reply, do you think it's at all possible to do this directly from my DAW? I'm using Studio one 2 Pro, it's pretty all inclusive and has "mock" samplers.

6. audiokid

Home Page:
    I think so!

Are able to trigger the sample in your laptop from your M-Audio Axiom61? If so, it would work. You just need to create a midi / patch program for that sample just like you do for other library banks. If you can do record that CD part on your laptop, and trigger it from your M-Audio Axiom61, this would be simple.

But, for a live show, I personally would buy a used sampler ( $100 bucks and be done with it) , connect the sampler to your M-Audio Axiom61 and then connect the sampler to your console , assign that sample to a pad and you are golden.

Its basically finding a the best way to trigger that sample from your M-Audio Axiom61.
    Make sense?

7. FrostAtronach

Yes that makes sense, Thank you! I need to try and figure out how to trigger the sound with just the keyboard for now though, as our show is tomorrow!

8. audiokid

Home Page:
    Go here:

Maybe this is exactly what you need or ask!

I'm assuming your could use the same concept but instead of a drum trigger, use your sample of the CD.

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/4907.page
    Drum samples triggered by audio?

9. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

Good find on the link audiokid, that's kinda where I was headed, but needed more info.

If you don't need to trigger it from the keyboard, you could absolutely just use StudioOne or Capture to playback loops and/or samples through the firewire inputs. Capture would use less computing resources if that matters.

10. FrostAtronach

Thank you for the help! For those familiar with StudioOne, i used the virtual instrument "Impact" which is a virtual sampler to load my samples, and routed them to my keyboards pads. It works great, i can simply tap the pad for an intro or outro and be done with it. Again, thanks for all the help i was stressing for this show tonight

11. FrostAtronach

Thank you for the help!