Case or Rackmount

Opus2000

Ok folks...what would you prefer to buy if you were to purchase a system from someone. Rackmount or Case.
Also let me know why you would choose either one.
Cheers
Opus

BrockStapper

It's unanimous! or however you spell that. Actually I guess I'm the only one who voted so far. I have to say, though, that in my current financial situation I would have to save some money and go with the cheapest tower I could find...

Tore Nylund

I'd go for a case... for the space... I guess.
I mean, isn't it easier to keep the temperature down in a big tower case? Of course the cost is also important.

eskimo

The rackmount is neat. But you don't want that friggin noisegenerator inside your studio do you?
And I don't want any racks outside my studio either...so case it is.

Doublehelix

Rackmount...all the way! it is neater and blends in better with all the rest of the gear. I guess I would be a bit concerned about noise and heat, but I think those things can be overcome with proper design.

llornkcor

how about a rackmount case?! hehehe :)
if money were no object - rackmount.
otherwise stick with a case

fabrice

i would mostly prefer a horizontal position (Read: rackmount) than vertical (tower) because of space saving config.

so if it's rackmountable, having that extra option is good for the eventuality.
the rackmount case has to be solid though (obviously) :tu:

Fozz

I voted for rackmount because of portability.

I'm only thinking along these lines now, because I might have a need for a small mobile setup that would record up to four people and I'm trying to decided between:
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">schlepping my p4b266 in its Asus 1080 case with a crt display, versus,
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">rackmounted PC that doesn't have to have the power of the p4b266/2ghz, and a flat panel display, versus,
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">some self contained rig like the new Yamaha AW16G, http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gDAW00008AW16G
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Last edited by a moderator:

Opus2000

Cool, thanks for your input folks...for those that did vote..
I got mixed results though..Most of you said to go with Cases but there are more votes for Rackmounts than cases :D
Opus