Cheap cassette deck for playback

Discussion in 'Tape Recorders' started by mwacoustic, Jan 19, 2008.

1. mwacoustic

mwacoustic Guest

I have a box of old cassette tapes (remember those?) that I want to get onto my PC. Nothing valuable or well-recorded, just some nostalgia from garage band days. I just gave away my old dual cassette deck which was broken (freecycle.org is great!), so now I am casually looking around for a new playback deck (don't need to record onto it). Any suggestions/recommendations under say $100?
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Keep your eyes open for one of these:

Nakamichi MR-2
    Marantz PMD501

And one of my favorites:
    Tascam 112MKII

You might be able to find any one of these on Craigslist or Ebay for under $100.

In fact, I checked on Ebay. Here's a cat selling a 122, the bid is at $91.

3. mwacoustic

mwacoustic Guest

thanks! I'll keep my eyes open for those.

Is there anything new in that price range? Consumer grade is fine - don't need to polish these turds too much, though I am also looking at something like SoundSoap to clean up whatever I can without too much effort.

4. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Geez, I honestly haven't looked into new cassette decks for years...

I'll get back to you later on that, unless someone here beats me to it.

5. mwacoustic

mwacoustic Guest

Another option I just realized I have... dusted off the old Tascam Porta-07 4 track. It plays regular cassettes, but at high speed. Turns out that it is double speed, so I can transfer to PC, then use a pitch shifter/time stretcher to get back to the orginal speed. I'm probably losing some quality in the process, but again these are not exactly hi-fi to begin with. Worked okay on one track, anyway.

Still might get a "new" deck for convenience at some point... but then again maybe I'll save my $$ for something else.
    -Mark