Choir Recording Sample - Feedback

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by tonyk, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Cucco

Cucco Well-Known Member

The 21s are pretty good at being able to get a little closer without singling out individual voices. I generally have the same response with ribbons in that they don't get too much "up close" sound even when closer. However, in this case I wouldn't go with a blumlein pair since the room is less than ideal. I think the 21s were a wise choice.

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Tony,
    I can't play your latest sample. What format is it in?

3. tonyk

tonyk Guest

Hello Boswell,

the MK21 only sample is in .sd2 format......I have put up the same sample as .aif here!

http://download.yousendit.com/98A6B97E1DDAB800

Hope this works for you!

I am looking forward to your comments.

Tony

4. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    It's lovely sonic quality, to be sure, and I certainly prefer it without the outriggers, but the spatial aspects are still worrying.

If I close my eyes and listen, I see two small choirs facing one another across a central division. The basses must be at the furthest end from where I am because they are not as prominent as the upper voices. I can't see a conductor, which may be why the two choirs are not exactly in time with each other. But the voices are captured well on the recording and sing delicately, with the exception of one soprano in the left hand choir who fails to blend with the other voices in both loudness and tonal quality.

I think most of this is down to the performance and not your recording, Tony. Am I being unduly critical? Anyone else hear it like that?

5. tonyk

tonyk Guest

Hello,
    I just realized, that the download limit for the MK21Only Sample was reached.....So, here it is again:

http://download.yousendit.com/8553149F140EB795

Boswell, I agree with you that there is a too strong left-right division in the sound. I tried to fit the piano in there, but might have worried a little too much about it.?Thank you for your comments so far!

Keep it coming!

TonyK