1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a Sebatron pre

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by Gary.T, Oct 5, 2003.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Well-Known Member

JR,
    On the contrary, you are the one making assumptions. You have no idea what Sebatron knows or doesn't know regarding the arenpee. I know for a fact that he is very aware of the design implimented as he and I have discussed this before. I caution you not to attempt to engage in a war of wits with Sebatron as you are essentially unarmed for such a conflict.

2. Sebatron

Sebatron Well-Known Member

Well if my honesty in replying to the original question that was asked in the begining of this thread makes me look bad … then so be it.

JR , maybe you should re-read my words.
    I did say the RNPee was an excellent transparent preamp ,
    Did you overlook this?

I guess I did say it was PART OF THE SAME FAMILY AS THE MACKIE.
    …but I stated my facts….specs…build…

If you take a Mackie pre and replace the gain pot with a high-quality stepped selector then add a few other features , none to do with sonics , but to do with ramping phantom etc. and then repackage it , ..you may see what I see.

Amongst the work I have done in the past:
    Studio engineer , live and session musician , audio repair technician …
    I also worked in one of the finest music stores in Melbourne selling audio and musical equipment…The Music Swap Shop.
    This shop stocked mostly second hand equipment …
    I used to hook up and demo equipment for clients , over and over ,.. for years.
    I saw how preamps had evolved ,..old classic ones and newer consumer orientated ones designed for a quick and cheap assembly.The species has many variations that may not be completely obvious to the untrained eye.
    It got to the point where I didn’t need to demo the stuff anymore , I could tell just by the build/circuit and power supply what the circuit would deliver and how it would sound.
    Just like guitars you know …. some were heavier than others and some would have different pickups.The heavier ones had more sustain … the pickups were the window to the sound.
    I could just pick up a guitar and feel its weight … then look at the pickups …. and KNOW how it would sound without trying it out.
    I would say this aloud to the client before pluging it in , and sure enough it would be as I had described.
    It became like every instrument or circuit had an aura I could read without trying it.

JR , you’re the one twisting my words brother.

I also mentioned that I had received many emails of users who own Mackie , RNP and have eventually bought VMP preamps.
    My theories are supported through these users who have made their sonic observations known to me…

Does this make me a criminal? Does it make me look bad?

I’ll re-state it once again in case you’re a thickhead:
    THE RNPee IS MUCH THE SAME FAMILY AS THE MACKIE PRE.
    Therefore THE RNPee IS NOT OF THE SAME FAMILY AS THE CLASSIC NEVE or API or VMP or whatever.
    …and it’s not priced the same….it’s a lot cheaper…..
    …. and that’s a good thing.
    A great transparent preamp designed for economy. :tu:

:w:

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed