Commando recording in a SILO!!!!

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by Paladyne, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

me and my friends live in the boonies. There is a barn with a silo at my friend Dans house. Its empty. When you go into it, there is a whole nuther world of sound in their. Millions of sciencefiction type sounds possible.

It would be a nightmare control room, but maybe would could tame just enough of the nightmare so we could do some exploration in the world of sound?

Any suggestions to having a good time with the SILO? We are thinking of banging around some metal and recording it with mics at the top and bottom. Hopefully we could get a tripped out segue for my friends next album.(whenever they finish writing it....)

I have heard of people using elevator shafts, that actually got done while I was at Sorcerer. I live for psycodelica!!!

a goofball, with insomnia,

Eric

we have a nord lead3 synth, a few mesaboogie rectifers, a SVTampeg. tons of guitars. a cello, bongos, and I think we can get a diggerido too.

2. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

We have a few ideas already, but I am wonder what you crazy guys might do in the same situation, feeling all psycodelic and stuff.

3. David French

David French Well-Known Member

I am working on a concrete music piece right now, and I would be most grateful if I could use some of your samples.

4. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Metallic reverb pitch shifted a few octaves down is REALLY spooky. Might fit as an intro or outtro for a song, maybe?

5. David French

Cool tip. Yes, pitch is my weapon of choice most of the time. ANother cool trick I like to do it have an impulsive sound with a looong smooth verb, and slowly drop or raise the pitch of the verb. Creates nice motion.

6. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

The kick or tom track with all the decay on it on "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" by Simon & Garfunkel was done in an elevator shaft. The silo might make a nifty live echo chamber hanging mics at different levels with a few different speakers pointing up. What fun!

7. jeeper

jeeper Guest

These guys have it setup and going silophone. They have some samples on their site as I recall. I did not dig it this trip though.

If you can dream it someone has tried it. But it still sounds like a lot of fun and some good probably will come from it.

8. David French

Also, be sure to record some impulses for convolution while you're in there.

9. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

cool ideas guys, and that is a cool website! Bad news on the silo for now, I climbed up about 15 feet and a rung broke off the old rotten ladder and yours truly BUSTED HIS ASS!!! Thank goodness for all the junkfood I eat, I had a padded landing. I have got to figure out another way to get to the top of that thing. David, I will definatly keep you posted if I get something going on, I would be more than happy to share. I think I can get some cymbols pretty easy from my friend. Impulses, thats just a short burst of sound right?

10. David French

Yeah, a nice crisp hand clap works well as an impulse.

11. jonyoung

I've always liked two nice dry pieces of firewood about 3" in diameter, 2' long. World Beat!

12. jonyoung

Paladyne, You can build a new ladder onto the old one. Screw some 2x4's to the siderails and 2x4 rungs to the new rails. Stagger the butt joints on the siderails for extra strength, ie: start with one 2x4 at 4' long, the other at 8' long and go from there. Use a loop of rope like a telephone lineman's sling to free up your hands. How tall is this thing?

13. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

YOWZA! That sounds like a good idea, but I think that kind of repair is a little out of my league, plus its my friends silo, not mine. I think I will try and find a ladder and get that into the silo. I think its somewhere between 30 and 40 feet tall.(and VERY stinky!) I am a pretty determined guy, so I will find a way to get this done.