complete newb needs help bad, no playback sound in Protools 8 LE. HELP

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by big_daddy234, Jan 19, 2011.

1. big_daddy234

big_daddy234 Active Member

Hey guys....at this point i have just micd my guitar amp and i am able to record tracks and on to the hardrive. When i play them back i cant hear anything.
    Im useing a Mbox2... i dont have any monitors hooked up, do i need them in order to hear anything? i just have the usb cable going from the mbox to the computer... i thought i would still be able to hear playback threw my computer speakers since the audio IS on my harddrive?
    When i go to set the output device all i see is bus 1 bus 2 stereo etc etc... i was hoping there would be a output that said USB but unfortunetly there isint...any ideas? thanks.

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Plug your computer speakers into the MBox headphone amp.

3. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    This, unless you are using a laptop. Then you'll need monitors or headphones plugged into the M-Box output. PT8 only works though its own hardware; it can't access your computer's regular sound card.

4. big_daddy234

ahh ok , thanks... one other question..... i have saved some sample files I did and there seems to be some hum. the hum increses the higher i crank the channel gain...... does this hum originate from the mic? its a pretty crappy mic that looks like its been dropped a few times. also im not useing a XLR cable im useing a DI input.

thanks.

5. TheJackAttack

Why on earth would you use a DI box/input for a microphone? The MBox has a mic preamp for a reason.

6. big_daddy234

lol im new ok!....no but seriously i just dont have a XLR to XLR cable...... the cable im using is XLR at the mic end but at the other end its a 1/4 jack...

Would having a XLR to XLR cable be alot better?

7. TheJackAttack

Yes. First because that is the jack designed with a preamp for a microphone. Second, you will need less gain adjustment for the mic because of the first point.

Now, if the mic itself is generating the hum then that is a problem and if it has been dropped enough (and isn't a Shure SM57/58) then maybe a new mic is in order. But I would start with the proper cable.

8. big_daddy234

the mic is a CAD 411 thats seen better days.

Thanks for the info bro.

9. big_daddy234

My particular cable has XLR at one end and splits into 2 1/4" jacks at the other end. What is this cable designed for?

10. TheJackAttack

Splitting a "stereo" (dual mono) XLR output into two channels of speaker amp. Or similar. That is certainly part of the hum problem if not all of it.

11. big_daddy234

O wow.....ok well im def getting a XLR to XLR cable......your the man... thanks again.