Connecting desk with external converters

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by karambos, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. karambos

    karambos Guest

    I presently have a 2 in/ 2 out sound card from emagic and I am looking around for an upgrade. I need an 8 in 8 out card lwith an external AD/DA converter ike the MOTU mk2/3 or the Aardvarkq10 etc etc. - the reason being, I'd like to record drums with a track per mic. (as you can imagine, trying to record drums on just two tracks is hard work)

    However, I'm trying to imagine just what I would need. I have a 16 track, analog, mixing desk with 4 subgroups. How would I connect to a breakout box? Would you normally go via the subs or take a direct out from each individual tracks? How do people who have bigger desks than mine (i.e. 8 subs or more) do this?

    I'd be grateful for any advice concerning just how to connect the desk with the external converters (or would you just go straight into the converters?) and particularly any recommendations for semi-pro quality sound cards (I'll probably buy it second hand so recommendations for cards that are no longer available or older models are also welcome)

    PS - I need at least one digital in/out if anyone is thinking of suggesting a specific card
  2. dabmeister music

    dabmeister music Active Member

    Jan 11, 2003
    Woodbridge, Va
    Home Page:
    I have a 24/8 mixer that I use for mixing and monitoring. I use multiple Echo Layla24 sound cards which are interfaced via the consoles' tape I/O's. I've tried other variations of connectivity with this board but found using it like this, works very well for me. My suggestions for you would be to use your "direct out(s)" instead of the subs. Additionally, going straight to the sound card is the best because you don't de-grade the sound quality by going through any additional analog circuitry.
  3. tripnek

    tripnek Active Member

    Jun 9, 2003
    I would recomend the M-Audio Delta 1010 card. You just can't beat the price/quality ratio of these babies. And you can add more later (up to 4 units per computer) if you need more tracks.
    If your Mixer has individual outputs on each channel, that's the way to go. If not, see if it has "inserts" on each channel. An insert is a 1/4 TRS connection that contains both in and out. Primarily designed for use with dynamic processors like a compressor or noise gate. You can use the out put of the inserts to feed the Delta 1010. If you have neither option on your mixer, I would sell it and buy one that better fits your needs. The Alesis Studio 32 is a great started mixer and can be had on eBay for about $300-$400. It is well designed for recording. Or if you have more cash try a little Allen & Heath mixer.
  • AT5047

    The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

Share This Page