control surface/ preamp question

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by goop, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. goop

    goop Guest

    Im looking for a way to record. Im stuck between getting a roland vs-200cd and computer recording.

    When on the computer you'll have your mics in to the preamp to the sound card. Now, do you have to have your signal going through the control surface (ex. Mackie control 8)

    basically do you have to manipulate your signal physically through the mixer or can you do it digitally in the computer.

    thanks alot
  2. Kurt Foster

    Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

    Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    No you do not have to use either a mixer or a control surface. many studios have only pre amps and a sound card / converter set up .
    Mixers can be handy for monitoring multiple sources latency free but is many cases a mixer is not necessary. A control surface can be nice but is never necessary ...

Share This Page