Correct Routing Paths of Inputs and Outputs in PT

Discussion in 'Recording' started by BigTrey, Mar 1, 2006.

1. BigTrey

BigTrey Active Member

Home Page:
    Hey RO'ers, I have been working with PT for over a year and have fell in love with the software. My question is in regards to assigning inputs and outputs in the I/O Dialog box? I usa a few of the plug-ins that came with PT in damn near all of my sessions and was wondering how to go about assigning the paths to buses of the plugs that I use most often? I usually have a session set up with three aux inputs; one with a Compressor, another with an EQ, and another with a Reverb; all are on buses 1-2,3-4,5-6 respectively. I would like to assign these to their own path in a session template, so does anyone know how I would go about doing this? Or is there anyone who has assigned input paths within the program itself? I am asking because I have been having a problem lately with the computer telling me that I am running out of CPU power and need to remove some plugs. As I said before I use the same plugs in all of my sessions and I only get this error message in a few sessions. I am trying to configure my sessions to match my studio configuration. Thanks for any suggestions and guidance in advance, and if you like music (especially hip-hop) check out some of our tracks at http://www.audiostreet.net/battlegroundrecordz, maybe we can convert you into one of our fans. :lol:

BigTrey ~ CEO/Battleground Recordz

2. Are you just wondering how to set things up in the the I/O setup and save it for use in a template?

Best thing to do is setup your I/O reflecting your studio configuration and naming nomenclature, and export this I/O setup for recall later on. Then use this I/O setup and create a session template with the tracks, plugins, aux inputs, etc that you use on a regular basis.

Steve

3. rnx

rnx Guest

steve's suggestion is bang on.

i'm just a little surprised though that you have a compressor and eq on an aux. I'm curious to know: are they on a send-return mode, or are you routing out the outputs of your tracks onto these 3 buses/auxes?

4. BigTrey

BigTrey Active Member

Home Page:
    rnx,

I usually route all of my vocal tracks to these buses, I record the vocals dry and then use the buses to apply EQ, Compression and Reverb. I usually adjust the faders on the sends (from the vocal tracks) until I "hear" a change in the overall sound. I never use the effects as returns, but I wonder what would happen if I did. This seems to work wonders for me when it comes to getting the vocals to where I think they should sound. I also use panning on the sends. I don't know if I am doing this right, but it works for me when I want to hear the lead, doubles, and adlibs. I'm a novice at recording and mixing, but this is what I have ended up doing after a year of experimenting and it has worked so i continue to keep doing it this way. I hope that explains what I use them for.

BigTrey~CEO/Battleground Recordz