Correct Way Of Recording Vocals?

Discussion in 'Vocalists' started by JX21, Nov 19, 2009.

1. JX21

JX21 Guest

I tend to record 3 vocals track for every piece of the song like hook, verse ect.. Then I pan one to the left, one to the right and leave one vocal in the center. I add the same eq, reverb and delay to all of them.
    I heard you can record with only one vocal but if so how do u get it to sound nice and warm like if I used 3 vocals.

Thank You For Your Time

2. natural

natural Active Member

What exactly did you hear?
    Did you hear that a single vocal can sound as thick and warm as a 3 vocal stack?

Is there an audio example?

I would say that a single vocal done in the proper environment with a quality mic can sound as good as a stacked vocal done under less than ideal conditions.

3. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

+1

4. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Yes. This is what can happen.

A great mic. A great chain and a room with only the reflections and the liveliness you want as well as a talented vocalist with a great voice and theres the magic.

5. JX21

JX21 Guest

Well thank you for your replies. I will leave my foolish ways of recording and try this way lol thank u

6. natural

natural Active Member

Well, to elaborate more - I like the sound of a stacked vocal where there's a dense mix of other instruments. And one could argue that a quality voc done as mentioned above could sound very nice (even better) in a stacked voc mix.
    And if not recorded in an ideal setting, then a stacked voc could possibly get you a better end result as well.
    But all things being equal, A single vocal will generally sound smaller or thinner than a stacked vocal.
    And of course it depends on the style of music.