1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Daily recording log - Remote recording of Piano and Voice

Discussion in 'Acoustic Keyboards' started by Thomas W. Bethel, Feb 28, 2005.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

FUNNY...

Completely a Freudian slip...

2. Midlandmorgan

Midlandmorgan Active Member

Wow...

I've had fistfights, domestic disputes, and band breakups all occur in my place...Even had an hour delay in a session (at client expense) so she could put on makeup for photos taken during the session...

I've thrown people out on their butts, sometimes physically....I've hunted down bad check writers with a pistol in hand...I've had parents complain that their kids' school concert CD was ruined because of a crying baby or some kid farting during a solo, which of course brought the house down with laughter, and somehow it was my fault and they wanted their money back...

I've had singers who could not get "in the mood" unless they were nude in the tracking room...SInce I don't have a window, they think its safe, but I do have a video system that works quite well...I've had 'singers' come in and essentially monotone their way through a 30 second commercial, advising me to get the spot producer to pay for the auto tune time...

Ain't this a GREAT life? Really, guys, we are blessed...How many other people do you know generate enough stories like y'all's to fill a book in a lifetime, much less a week?

Of course, we won't discuss the time a very sensitive female singer was trying to sing her heart out for a love ballad, and at the critical moment of half singing half speaking, a mouse ran across the floor...

3. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Friday's recording session.

The session is suppose to start at 11 am so I arrive at 10:45 am. The singer and the producer arrive at 11:00 am. All the gear is on and we are ready to start the final day of recording.

We are only scheduled to go until 4 pm - quitting sooner if possible. The producer is asking for some retakes and some touchups on what we have already done. The singer is nice and warm with her new heater and her microphone cover/ paint roller cover. Things go very well and we get though the all the songs again in short order. We have a lunch break (wow!) (good egg salad sandwiches and ice tea) and the producer decides to do some more songs and these too go very easy and we are done. They help me pack up the van and hand me a nice hand written note that says basically thanks for all your technical help and for getting us though this recording. They also give me a couple of bags of Potato chips so I have something to munch on (because I missed so many meals) and a very nice present of a neck warmer filled with buckwheat kernels that you put into a microwave and warm up. I present them with the bill for my time. I am on the road home at 4:00 pm on the dot.

This was a crazy recording session but by keeping it professional and by trying to correct problems as they happened and by keeping an open mind things finally got done and done well. I am pleased with the results, they are pleased with the results and hopefully the next time we do this kind of thing it will go much smoother. The bottom line on the note says "we hope this is the start of a very long very rewarding professional relationship and this is only the first of many recordings we want to do with you"

YEA!

Now if I get paid it will be a GREAT session! The producer was so impressed with the microphone he asked to purchase it and the paint roller too! So I am not out as much money as I thought.

I was able to go to a good friend's house for pizza night and went to bed early.

End of story.....

Thanks for reading this log......

4. ghellquist

ghellquist Member

Tom,
    thanks for allowing us to share with you.

Gunnar

5. MasonMedia

MasonMedia Guest

Thanks for sharing the experience with us. I found the depths you went to to smooth the way for the performer crazy at times, but in the end inspiring. Well done.

Peter. :cool:

6. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I just got paid for the recording sessions and a nice letter from the pastor saying that he hoped this would be the start of a very long professional relationship. They originally told me it would be three months to get paid but they found some "fund" money and paid me. We will be doing the mastering and some mixdowns starting later this month. I will keep you informed of the process.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

This is a GREAT forum!!!!!! Thanks to all who populate it.

7. recordista

recordista Active Member

Home Page:
    Your patience through this ordeal is truly inspiring. I fear I would have walked out somewhere on day two.

Wait, the "producer" wants to buy your C1000? This is just a dream, right?

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed