Demoing Sonarworks Reference 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris Perra, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Chris Perra

Chris Perra Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm currently demoing Sonarworks reference 4 calibration software. It's pretty cool. Massive difference between "Calibrated" and off. Anyone else have experience with it?

kmetal likes this.
  2. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    no never heard of it. how are you mixes translating with your speakers calibrated by it?

3. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    one thing about room correction with EQ. The nulls in a room- cancellations of the physical soundwaves in a room, cannot be correct by eq. ie, you cannot boost what isnt there in the first place. so when you boost any eq for room correction, your making the nulls deeper/worse relative to the rest of the frequencies. ie the boost makes something louder, the nulls stay exactly the same, silect/canceled. this is why its most often suggested to use subtractive eq in room correction, to bring peaks closer down to the nulls.

audiokid likes this.
  4. Chris Perra

Chris Perra Active Member

Home Page:
    It's different.. Mixes are translating well. It's very different though. For me it sucks the life out my mixes but when you put the life back in it translates far better on different systems.

Flat is really boring sounding. It shows me how speakers are designed to colour sound is big way, even studio monitors.

I'm running the demo, but I bought a mic from them. They measure each mic before selling it so when you run the calibration software the mics idiosyncrasies are accounted for.

The software does 37 mic positions around your listening area. It's only flat in your listening position.

It has a plug in for Daws and a Systemwide one as well. It also comes with headphone calibrations for a ton of high end studio headphones.

If your room is a washy combfiltered mess I don't think this would work. You need some reasonable starting point but for many people it's cost prohibitive to get a flat room with construction/sound treatment.

My room is 15 by 30 with a low ceiling. concrete floor and cinderblock walls. So I made it completely dead with carpeting, insulation in the open roof/floor rafters with fabric on top and blanket type material on the wall. It's pretty dead. I also have bass traps..

My calibration showed me that I had a huge low end spike around 40 to 50 hz. Also too much top end around 6 to 1ok and a dip in low mids around 300 or so.

They was also phase differences between left and right speakers. There's a rack with preamps to my right and ductwork above that as well vs the left.

I calibrated a set of Adam A7s with a Sub 8. It's adjustment was pretty big. Much of top and bottom end gone and stuff sounded more solid re the phase issues. As my right side had polar opposite eq curve vs the left in some frequency ranges.

For me it fixed many issues as my mixes tended to be dull and I'd have to add a lot of higher mids than I'd like judging from my uncalibrated setup.

Also If I find a sweet spot where it sounds great calibrated and also great uncalibrated with nothing weird happening it translates well. Most of my comparison music sounded fine on the uncalibrated setup with the exception of some mixes having too much top endlike Sia material.

It's free to demo for 21 days, worth checking out. I'd get the calibration mic from them though. Unless you have one that has it's own calibration data which you can enter in before doing the calibration.

Or even try the headphone one.

They are doing a giveaway..

https://wn.nr/ptqR5t

5. mixedbymatty

mixedbymatty Active Member

Home Page:
    I used Sonarworks for quite a few years and had fantastic results. I recommend to anyone with a home studio. It can really help you hear the mix better. I now own a Trinnov room correction computer which adds more features for a rather steep price but it's worth every penny to me. I have a professionally designed room, and it still improves the translation quite a bit.

6. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I’ve used the SW Ref 4 for heapdphones with good results; though I’m really only using HPs to work with late nights when I don’t want to wake my girl.
    I can get a decent percentage of the mixing done with cans, but I can’t wear them - any model - for more than about an hour or so, as a result of surgeries I had on both ears when I was about 18, any physical pressure on my ears can become very painful after awhile.
    But, for the time I’ve spent working with cans and the software, I’ve been fine with what I’ve done inside the cans, after I flip over to speakers to continue.