Digital vs. Analog Compressors

Discussion in 'Compressors / Limiters (analog)' started by dabmeister music, Jan 29, 2004.

1. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Home Page:
    With the advent of software compressors, is it still wise to consider using analog compressors? I own a dbx DDP and use it as a analog compressor (going through the AD/DA converters). I have WAVES' Renaissance Compressor and really love it too. My question is, would it be worth purchasing another good compressor reguardless of its circuitry?

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

I think it is always worth buying another high quality tool. Great analog comps sound better and have high value to me. but then I also more comps than I do preamps eq's, or mics.

3. dabmeister music

Home Page:
    Thanks Audiogaff, IYO, what do you think would be a good analog compressor.

4. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

That is a broad question. Here a few that I own or have used: dbx 160S & 160SL, API 525 & 2500, Tube-Tech CL1B & CL2A, Groove Tube CL1s, Summit TLA-100, Focusrite Red-3, Joe Meek SC2, UA 1176 & LA2A, Manley El-Op & Vari-Mu, Crane Song Tracker, Any green Altec, EL-8 Distressor, Aphex compeller, Neve 2254 & 33609, Smart C2, Eclair Engineering LALA, any of the Pendulum Audio tube comps and many others as well.

5. The RNC at $175 is a great buy. My favorite color comp is my 1176 reissue. David

6. dabmeister music

Home Page:
    Hey guys, I've been eyeing the UA 1176 for some time now. How does the UAD-1 pluggin version by Mackie stand up to the original? This would only come to play if I could'nt get my hands on the real thing.

7. dabmeister music

Home Page:
    Is the 1176 also considered a leveling amplifier? Is this another way of calling it a compressor?

8. No clone plug-in can live up to the hardware version IMO.
    The 1176 has 4:1 all the way up to 20:1 and absolutely can be used as a limiter. David

9. a33

a33 Active Member

The UAD is a good tool but i prefer the hardware . I have both.
    For plugins the UAD is great!!!

I wouldn't think of the desision as one or the other Get both!! :D (eventualy)
    The fairchild plugin is worth the money alone.