Distressors for Mixing!! - Anyone?

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by Mad John, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Anyone out there useing the Distressors at the mix stage?

If not, why? :p

2. godotzilla

godotzilla Guest

Is the Distressor a full feature multi-band comp? If I recall, it has some filters that allow control of low freeqs w/o compromising higher bands, but I don't think it's as tweak-able or would allow as much flexibility as a mastering comp. would. Though knowing the quality of EL stuff, I bet it would do a pretty damn good master if the right hands and ears were behind it.

3. darling

darling Guest

I've used distressors on the two bus on a couple of records ( or a couple of songs on a couple of records) it's not for the faint hearted, but it rocks on aggressive stuff. The linkability is a little suspect ( at least on mine - first year models) but as with any thing else in audio - try it - you might dig it.
    have fun - dave darling

4. darling

darling Guest

I've used distressors on the two bus on a couple of records ( or a couple of songs on a couple of records) it's not for the faint hearted, but it rocks on aggressive stuff. The linkability is a little suspect ( at least on mine - first year models) but as with any thing else in audio - try it - you might dig it.
    have fun - dave darling

5. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

I have found that the best way to utilize the Distressors in the 2-bus mix is to couple them with a fav Tube Compressor. In my case I use the moded Manley Vari MU and I get some very interesting results!

I was interested to hear if anyone was useing them beyond the tracking stage. It seems not many do......interesting! :eek:

6. NeonCactus

NeonCactus Guest

I've never really used one on a mix bus but I love them on Bass Guitar!!!!! Really good for players who like to dig in!

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed